The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new goat today she's a yearling obi/nubbie mix. I checked her over before letting her meet my girls. Later I noticed a cyst on her shoulder. I gloved up lanced it and have a sample for te vet tomorrow. I the. Drained it into a plastic bag cleaned out the wound and used triple antibiotic cream. Covered it and put her in a pasture alone. Then I bleached everything . I talked to the previous owner who got her from a closed heard and said that's where. She vaccinated her. Any thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It's not uncommon for a vaccination site to abcess. What did the pus look like?

·
Registered
31,474 Posts

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
Wow that is a great link! But how horribly disgusting
Yep CL is gross lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y thank u for the link. There was no where near that much puss it kinda resembled that but who knows, I have her separated right now we should hopefully have the results back before we move, it's sad she's such a great girl.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
If the CL was not ready to be lanced,you would not have gotten much goop from it...to lance and clean up a CL properly, it needs to be softin the center..like a very ripe grape...onnce you lance it and get all the gunk out it needs to be flushed 3 times a day with an iodine solution...for a min. of 3 days..or until the wall of the cyst is thinned indicating all the infectious puss has been killed or removed..once its thinned enough to heal, it takes about a weel and half to heal enough to be safe for her to be with the herd...In doing the flushing you need to be as causious as you were with the lancing..washing her whole shoulder area of any residue that could have gotton on her druing the cleaning/flushing..bleaching everyhting that couldhave come in contact with the cl...hopefully thetest will show its not CL...some injection sites will puss up and look a bit like CL....tha link I sent also shows normal location....best wishes

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Its very common to vaccinate in that location and Ive had CD/T vaccines give a lump and cause abcesses that later have to be drained. I nolonger vaccinate for more then one reason but that is one of them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone she had the first shot and the booster in those spots are the cysts I talked to the dr this am and he said the puss doesn't look like cl he said that is more merging consistency. The two spots had a different consistency of puss too, one dry cottage cheese white the other burst out when I lanced it and was more pudding like not sticky. I didn't have iodine so I used hydro peroxide and then a bleach water solution then packed with ointment. I gave her a drop bannamine paste to help the pain and possible swelling. Dr said to flush a few times a day do you think the bleach solution is ok or does it need the iodine? I bleached the floor when done too.
We're not testing it this time, since it is at the vaccine site just waiting till these heal and if se gets another one well take appropriate action.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I've had vaccination abcesses that have opened on their own... I flush once with weak iodine solution, pack the hole with a triple anti biotic or neosporin then let them be, I do spray them with blu kote every other day to help the healing as well as keep flies away. They do leave scars but will heal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts