The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
First, separate that goat from the others and place in an area that the other goats will never go. Remove the other goats from the infected area and if nothing else, give them a bleach and water rub down. I know bleach and other cleaners dont do much good but I would saturate every surface that the goat popped it in. I mean really saturate it. CL can live anywhere from 2-10 years on surfaces. Give 24 hours at least for the bleach to do its job and then if you think its safe, return the animals back to their pen.

As for the goat with the popped abscess, you will need to finish lancing it and cleaning it. Rubber gloves for sure. Lots of paper towels, iodine and q tips. Cut about a half inch slice in the abscess and pop like a zit. Clean with iodine. Use q tips to scrap out the rest of the contents. Flush again with iodine and keep doing this till you are sure the abscess is empty. Oh and before I forget, do this over a tarp you can throw away and make sure not to contaminate any surface you can not also throw away. Put all trash in its own plastic bag or empty grain bags work good. One the cavity is empty, soak a quart piece of paper towel in iodine and then pack that paper towel quarter sheet into the slit. If its a bigger abscess you may need to use a half sheet. Now clean the goat with bleach and iodine head to toe and put her in her new living quarters. A separate quarantine pen well away from any contact with your other animals. This goat will never be allowed to join the clean herd again. Goats can get CL abscess in their longs and has a slight chance of spreading it by coughing. So you can never again mix this goat with clean ones. Ever few days pull out the paper towel and replace with a new iodine drenched one. Should day about a week to 10 days before the outta skin heals enough so you dont have to do this anymore. I suggest testing the herd for CL now and then again in 6 months and then again in another 6 months.

NOW, before an of this, are you sure its a CL abscess and not say an infected tooth or a wood sliver? CL only shows up in certain areas. Under the ear, between front leg and chest, upper back part of back leg are the most common areas. Tooth abscess that are down near the teeth are often confused as are vaccine shot locations. Typically behind the knee of the front legs along the side of the chest. A picture might be good to see to confirm.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
where is the Cyst located? I agree its best to remove her from the herd...my lancing methods are a bit different then TDG-farms....I do lance with all the protection mentioned..rubber gloves..tarp cover area..I cut into the cyst and holding a large wad of paper towels I squeeze under and out to clean out as much puss as I can ( a banamine shot will help, this is painful for the goat)..once I have got as much out as I can I use iodine in a syringe, no needle and I flush several times..I then clean the entire area well with iodine...I flush 3-4 times a day for 3-4 day or until the wall of the cyst is thinned and ready to heal...the goat will remain in her own pen until the area has healed to the point of no chance of oozing..like a well dried scab..I do allow them to return to the herd...if she neds up with more CL then I would cull...
as for the area she was in....wash everything with bleach...feeders, water dishes..barn stall, spray the dirt even..I agree to move you herd if you can and allow the beac to work..best wishes...

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
behind the ear is a common CL location :( Do have the puss tested if you have any doubt... I do want to add all material used to clean CL needs to be burned (or if you cant, like here isn texas we are too dry to burn anything) Put everything in a zip lock baggie

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Not to take over the thread but I'm curious,

Would a CL abscess only be a circle shape and not like an oval? And can they change shape?

·
Registered
30,676 Posts

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Its pretty easy to know if its CL or not. A normal abscess will freaking stink bad because its caused from an infection. The CL abscess will not smell much if at all as it is not caused by an infection.
I agree and the puss is pretty distictlive as well...ifyou have a round cyst in a normal CL location with cottage cheese like puss...you can be prety sure its CL..

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well we found a few more lumps on 2 other does. Assuming it is CL since I know have multiple goats with it. Since my herd has been exposed can anyone tell me how effective the vaccine is. Also I read to inject Formalin into the lump to get rid of it, can anyone tell me if this works?

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Formalin does work, but I would not use it myself..you need so know how to handle it...its risky...inject too soon and it does little good, inject too late and the cyst burst doing little good...the chance for it to leak and destroy good tissue and organs is too great...there is not enough information to learn how to use it..
you can vaccinate against the CL , they now have a vaccine..but from what I read its better to test the pus and have a vaccine for the bacteria causing the cl in your herd...which is costly...any one getting the CL vaccine will test positive for it.
I was able to get my herd clean by being diligent in cleaning the CL cyst and culling when needed...any goat who was a repeat offender was culled. the whole place was scrubbed with bleach, feeding dishes, water dishes..every pole, wall was sprayed down..the top dirt removed and the rest sprayed in bleach....it took a few years to end the process, since it can take up to 2 years for a CL cyst to produce after exposer... but we did beat it..

article worth reading on the CL vaccine
http://www.colorado-serum.com/vets/vol_2/vol2_10.htm
article discussing CL vaccine made for your farms strain...(long read but interesting)
http://www.clgoatcare.org/

·
4,956 Posts
The vaccine can help prevent it but I wouldnt suggest it. Like bleats said, once you use it, you will test positive for it. ALSO on the big farm I worked on, the vaccine did do much in the way of lessening the amount of abscess an infected goat kept getting. Total waste of money. Not sure if you got them all from the same breeder or not but if so then its more then likely they all have it. But if you want to clean it up you have two choices. One, follow everything bleats did as thats pretty much what we did on the big farm. OR sell em all, clean as bleats said and then start new and buy from proven clean herds. If you by chance picked up any at a locale sale, dont do that anymore. In fact dont bring anything home from a live stock sale.

·
2,203 Posts
In all honestly I would separate the goat out firstly. Sanitize as much as I could, burn all residues. I would clean and flush the abscess myself as well. I would of course get it tested right away. If positive I would test the others. If positive I would absolutely be heartbroken but I would get rid of my herd, burn what could be burnt, give it a while, and start fresh and new.

·
4,956 Posts
It would be heartbreaking for sure but that is the smartest way. It took us 12 years to clean up that big farm before we left out on our own and it wasnt even totally clean. Granted we are talking 300+ goats on average there at any one time. But its a long long fight.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think you could vaccinate the goats who haven't showed signs of cl,and isolate the ones who have it,and go from there,don't think you need to cull everything for cl,it can be managed,if u listen to what others are telling you,you will do fine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts