The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a question. I just spoke with a woman who bought a buck from me a couple months ago. She said his CL blood test came back positive. However, none of my animals have ever had so much as a sign, symptom or nodule since I've had them. So since none of my animals of ever had an open nodule, how would this buck who is now four months old have gotten this disease? Is it possible to transfer from doe to kid in utero? I cannot test the doe since she died of bloat when the kids were 10 days old

·
Super Moderator
59,766 Posts
They can get CL from mosquito bites. I had the same problem a couple years ago. The buckling died from internal CL abscesses. My whole herd tested clean for 2 years in a row. Their vet determined that he got CL from a mosquito bite.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I don't test so may just be a sack job joining in on this lol but I have seen many posts that say something about numbers when testing. Like the higher the number the more chance of having cl or how bad.....from what I gather. I have also read that a exposed animal is one back positive even though they don't have it, I guess kinda like if you were to vac. Them they don't have it but will still be positive. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The buck is 4 months old? Its incredibly rare for a goat to have CL under 6 months.

Also - you shouldn't test an animal under 6months of age because they have antibodies from their mom.
If he tested positive, you need to test his dam.

Just because you haven't seen symptoms, doesn't mean someone in your herd doesn't have it. Get them tested and you will know. when testing, send it to WADDL - make sure the person with your goat sent it to WADDL. I wouldn't test a 4 month again or ever. She needs to wait until they're at least 6 months old (WSU recommends 8-9 months) because tests aren't reliable at that age.

My guess is that it's a false positive or you have a goat that has it and passed on the antibodies to her kid which doesn't mean he has it, it means he has antibodies from mom that may pass through his system and be gone by the time he is of age to properly test.

·
Super Moderator
59,766 Posts
The buckling that I sold and had CL was only around that age. Everything was tested and confirmed through a vet. I was very upset because when I heard about that, it is like all the testing and good husbandry and everything can be wiped out with one mosquito bite.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does biotracking not test for CL? I just drew blood on all my goats to send in.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
This is true. CL is prevalent enough and easy enough to get that there are no fool proof measures to not get it. Anyone that says so is lying to themselves. A farm may never ever have to deal with it but that's only partially through good practices but through luck as well.

WSU says that under 6 months its too early to get an accurate result. But everyone has to manage their herds.

eqstrnathlete - do you know what the titer's score was?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is true. CL is prevalent enough and easy enough to get that there are no fool proof measures to not get it. Anyone that says so is lying to themselves. A farm may never ever have to deal with it but that's only partially through good practices but through luck as well.

WSU says that under 6 months its too early to get an accurate result. But everyone has to manage their herds.

eqstrnathlete - do you know what the titer's score was?
I don't know the actual number, she just said it was high.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
First i would have the buck retested and get his titer numbers.
You say that your goats have never had signs of cl, but have they been tested? If all are negative then he must have been exposed at her place. They can have internal cl that wont be obvious this is spread by coughing sneezing etc.. You should have your herd tested every year anyway.
I see that you show your goats, unfortunately that is one of the risks of showing. they /he may have picked this up at a show. This is why show people need to follow the USDA guidelines for show animals. you may have unknowingly put your show goats in an infected pen or next to infected goats and brought home CL.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
You're not supposed to test until they reach the age of at least six months, but i've heard eight is better. It could be a false reading. It would be unlikely that he picked it up in utero if he is in fact positive.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I have never had them tested. I am not new to goats but knew nothing of these diseases until joining this forum. I will be mailing their samples in the morning. But when I go to the WADDL website I can't find the right form to send with the vials or instructions. If anyone has used them can u help me out? I have only used biotracking for pregnancy testing.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
waddl's site has a form that you fill out and send with rhe samples if you are having trouble with the site give them a call 509-335-9515. go to their website and click on diagnostic lab it will be on the left this will bring up a page with 2 gray squares, under the squares is a heading laboratory accession forms. the first one is the form you need to send with the blood. don't worry if you dont have all the info skip the first part and go to the owner information and fill that out check the serology box you need to say what you tests you want done usually cl and cae which is what you probably want but they will test for johnes,and brucellosis too if you want. you will need another form which is the id form for multiple animals it is back under the accession forms. they will run the test on wednesday so be sure your samples are there by tuesday at the latest. they will bill you with the results but you can call and get the results on thursday. they are great to work with. good luck!!

·
Registered
31,471 Posts
Could also be he didnt contract it at your place but hers..??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She says her herd is clean. I don't know. I mailed the blood samples to WADDL today. I will let you know the results.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My only other concern is the ages of my goats.

Romeo 5 months, brother to sold buck
Sam 7 months
JJ 7 months
Deja 7 months
And then summer but she is 3 yrs.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All 5 goats are NEG for CAE & CL !!!!! I am so excited!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts