cleaning goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatskeeper, Jun 20, 2010.

1. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    hello,
    do goats need regular cleaning . i mean humans can get a bath from time to time to be clean and healthy, but what about goats? , what kind of cleaning do they need.

thank you

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well first of all goats hate water. I do not and can not wash my goats because they are cashmere, but I know all the other goats do get washed before show. A friend of mine uses baby shampoo.

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    I washed mine before clipping them. Sweetgoats is right, they HATE water. Make sure you have them secured well, and it would really be beneficial to have someone there to help you. I used a dog shampoo when I bathed mine.

-Tina

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I wash mine on a regular basis in the summer... some HATE it while others actually enjoy the bath. :)

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I wash mine before shows and sometimes during the summer if they look like they need it. Also, if I am clipping for pictures, showing, etc. it is good to wash them before to keep you clippers from getting worn out. Goats do hate water so it's good to get it done quickly if ya can. ;)

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most times, all it takes to have a "clean" goatie is to make sure their home is clean and get them used to a good brushing...my girls are never bathed, and they fight over who gets brushed first. The bucks are the ones that I try and bath at least once a year.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Don't bath goats, dogs, cats or birds. Bath my daughter and me and that's about all I can manage. LOL

I brush anything off that might fall into the bucket. Otherwise I leave them be.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I've considered giving my does a bath, but decided against it. They'd just go over and find the coolest spot to lay...which means they'd just lay back down in the dirt anyway and it would make things worse LOL But I'd definitely brush them, in fact, I need to get a new brush can't seem to find the one I had <kids.>

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No bathing the goats here......but I do daily brushings and combing and the love it!

Like Liz said if you keep their shelter pen/yard clean and brush them regularly then they stay pretty clean.......at least my guys do :greengrin: .

10. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    We have shows in April and May so the goats who are going to show get bathed and clipped first, then after the show dust settles everyone inclucing the hayburners and the buck get a spring bath and clip. It's too hot here to leave long hair on goats and our Toggs get pretty shaggy during the winter. It's also the best way to get rid of any bugs that may be hiding. Once exposed to the sun they fall right off. For the goats who don't show, I use a size 10 skip toothed blade that leaves enough hair that they don't sunburn and the flies won't tickle them too much. I always find tons of flaky dry skin on them, and a good drench with Main and Tail conditioner really helps that. too. We put a line of spf 30 sunscreen down their backbones so they don't sunburn. It may sound odd to those of you way back there in the nether regions of the eastern provinces, but out here a shorn goat will sunburn. Nobody like a bath, much less a clip, but they are a whole lot cleaner and more comfortable afterwards. It also makes it much easier to notice any worrisome bumps, lumps or other abnormalities.

11. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    pesky submit button double posted, sorry!

12. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    I clip and bathed my goats for the first time and they actually really enjoyed it, initially the water freaked them out and then when they felt how nice and cool it was they relaxed and loved getting scrubbed. After they were done they pranced around and were really giddy. So i'm not sure if my goats are an exception but they truly seemed to enjoyed getting bathed. I'm not sure how necessary it is but I like getting all the grit off occasionally.

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I have only bathed a few of mine as kids with "nasty butt". Mischief hated it and screamed bloody murder. ( this was in the bath tub with warm water)

Ben will get in the shower with me when I let him. (he screams his head off when he can't see me)

When it rains, don't expect them to come get the food. Oh no. They want room service. The sheep don't care. I can bathe Moose and he'll turn however I want without a peep. (hair sheep) I don't wash Baa Baa because he's a wool sheep.

Gina

14. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I brush everyone down and have cleaned messy bottoms with warm water and anti-bacterial soap, but I've only given our prego a full hose shower. It's been hot and she was panting like crazy. The first time she tried walking in circles to get away, but now stands still and closes her eyes like she really appreciates it. She stopped panting heavily and it really cooled her off. It did nothing for keeping her clean, though! She's the worst one about finding some way to get dirty daily.