The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious- I have read many posts and it seems goat owners clean their goat pens on different schedules - some very often and some not so often.

Without many exceptions, I rake the ground every day, broom it, etc, and sweep their shed out. Its a 50 x50 ft pen area, for four boers. (I have moveable electric netting so that I can rotate grazing/ browsing areas out side their pen, though I cant do that every day).

Guess I am paranoid re worms as I lost a goat to bottle jaw a while back and I never want to go through that again. But am I over doing it with the daily cleaning?

kbt

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
Whatever makes you feel best. If it becomes overwhelming or you just don't have the time, you can always do something different.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also try to clean out every day but if I am too busy and don't get to it for some reason I don't stress over it. I just add a little more straw over their bedding and then rake it out the next day. It does sound like it's more a personal preference thing as everyone seems to do it a different way. Probably also depends on what the floor/bedding is. At first our barn floor was this really compacted hard clay. I had to rake out everyday because urine would pond on it. Ugh. Then we got barn lime and added some different dirt and the lime helped sooooo much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I clean morning and night. Whenever I'm out there I do it because I know I wouldn't want to lay in a dirty pen. Dry clean pens also help reduce smell and disease. It's all whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I totally clear it out once a week. I will take the wet swamp out of the middle daily.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think it's a lot to do with what the floor is made of, what the goat population density is, and what your climate is like. Porous ground is crummy for gardening in, but lovely for the floor of the goat pen! Dry air helps dry the bedding and extend its life. I let my nose and shoe soles be my guide--to any ammonia smell, which indicates wet bedding that needs to be removed and composted, and to berries that need to be buried under fresh bedding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts