Cleaning up lil' goatie poops...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Wallaby, Sep 17, 2012.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I use the show shovel & rake too. In kidding stalls it's either a dustpan or gloved hand.
    Merideth you need to expriement here first to make sure it works.;)

2. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

When the kid babies were born, we all put them into set apart saved clean grassy area pens.. keeping those pens clean for the first two months was a daily chore. I used a dog pan with attached little mini rake. This worked well and I pooped scoop all these little pen areas of 15 goats ever single day -almost a full wheel barrell load full. Once the dry weather came- the 'kids' were old enough to go on to the bigger acre hill and roam. No poop scooping through summer. Now just before the rains hit.. we have all this dry ground out there where grass once was.. I take a push broom and 'rake' broom it all up off the dirt and haul it to a pile. Poop is a problem especially if you don't have a lot of acreage.

3. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

winter is the time we keep the pooped up areas clean but it is hard when there is grass to rake it out of- and we use dry straw in sheds to be changed almost daily as needed.

4. ASTONs Dairy

ASTONs Dairy Member

Aug 14, 2012
    South Carolina
    I use lime also. Works wonders.

5. earlibird

earlibird New Member

Feb 28, 2014
  6. janeinsf

janeinsf New Member

Nov 4, 2015
    A friend brought over 4 goats to stay at my house. They have lived in an open environment for years.
    I am goat ignorant and now see that host poop is all over! This is not going to work for me. Ideas?

7. rebelINny

rebelINny Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Rake it up in a pile and shovel. Or use a leaf blower to pile it then shovel.

8. Bansil

Bansil Member Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    good thing is it's free fertilizer :p, just dont step in it for a few hours ;-)

9. janeinsf

janeinsf New Member

Nov 4, 2015
    It's getting cold here so I guess it will freeze! But there's nothing to fertilize where they are pooping. LOL ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1446643748.225684.jpg

10. Bansil

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    collect it and sell it to organic farmers and crazy plant people :leap: win/win

not sure how much a 1 gallon zip lock would bring though :shrug:

11. thekibblegoddess

thekibblegoddess Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sylvania, GA
    I have waste hay over dirt in my stall, and am just now letting it bed up. One goat has clumpy poops, and yes that's normal for her, and those are easy to pick up. But chasing goat berries through hay is a pain. The mini-tined rake mentioned earlier looks great, but is kind of pricy for just 2 goats. I bookmarked it though for when i'm up to 5. I'm not too concerned though about the amount of poo in the stalls, it is more than covered by the amount of hay they waste :)

12. Bansil

Jul 23, 2015
    Mnt city, TN
    it's like they drag it out and play with it and then leave it laying around in a 6 ft diameter circle...all children are the same :partygroup:

13. Gerard-Dawn

Gerard-Dawn New Member

Sep 5, 2014
    USA
    I use home made grass broom to brush out the poo then have a metal scoop to brush into. The nice thing about grass booms is that the poo can't stick on it.

14. I'm getting a new scooper from www.ryanspet.com, the best dog grooming website ever. For those who shave your show goats, they have more clippers than you can shake a stick at. They also have a pretty good variety of pooper scoopers for when you just need a little clean up.

15. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
    We have concrete flooring where our goats are, so I use a broom and dustpan. The contents go to the garden. After about a year of doing this my Florida beach sand it finally becoming closer to soil.

16. laraloveschad

laraloveschad New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    i'm late to this conversation, and am new to goats -- can i compost their waste? what else do folks do with all this waste product being swept/shoveled/raked?

17. GoatCrazy86

GoatCrazy86 New Member

I bed with pine shavings over rubber mats... and I find that a dustpan and brush work great for sweeping up any piles/pee spots left overnight. I don't go crazy trying to get every little berry... I gave up on that lol:laugh:

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. You can compost it.

19. ladypisces031070

ladypisces031070 New Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Olympia, WA
    Be careful with the lime, as our feed store told us that if you don't cover it with enough straw it can burn the bottoms of their hoofs. We bought some Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher, 25 lb. that helps lover the PH and also absorb the wet spots that we cannot get to. And yes, our four 7 months old Saanan girls poop EVERYWHERE. But you clean as best as you can. Our girls are hitting puberty as their urine is very strong ammonia. And we joked when they got about 5 to 6 months old "And God added smell to the poop" lol. Our thing is trying to figure out a way to feed them without wasting so much (cannot afford some of the expensive things the livestock stores have at over one hundred dollars a piece). As you know when it touches the ground, they won't eat it. So we have 2 five gallon buckets hanging on the inside of our make shift pen and another one on top so they cannot get there feet on top and knock it down, and then we have an old plastic "recycle" container under one that works but cannot find anything for the other one that they won't get in and poop and pee in.

20. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California

Wow! Thank you for sharing. I didn't even think about burning feet. I'm putting a horse on stall rest lol and was going to buy a bunch of like and put down since the stall I'm making is a little small for my liking but maybe I'll pass on that.
    For the goats though their main houses they come and go as they please and has good air going threw it so I just put straw down. Their kidding stalls are a bit more blocked in if you will to keep drafts out and I clean like crazy but also put down baking soda. It does a good job BUT not every doe and her kids go in there and usually the ones that do don't stay in longer then 24 hours. I'm sure for large areas and areas that need to be cleaned a lot it would get expensive pretty fast.