clear stings in colostrom

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by LoveMyGoats, Jan 18, 2009.

1. LoveMyGoats

LoveMyGoats New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Yesterday we rescued a pregnant doe- spanish and boer cross. Today she had twins. She is in amazingly good shape considering the conditions she was in. The twins were healthy and beautiful, but a little weak. We have only had one birth so far on our farm and he hit the ground looking like a mac truck. So, this is my only comparisson. Because they were weak, we had to help out with the first nursing. I noticed some clear strings in the colostrom. What are those? I have read up on mastistis and the doe does not have any other symptoms. The colostrom is very thick, but not lumpy or cottage cheese looking. The babies are now nursing on their own and look so much stronger. Should I be concerned about the clear strings? The strings are very short. They did settle to the bottom of the jar I milked into leaving beautiful creamy colostrom at the top. Any insight into what these are would be greatly appreciated. :wave:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they were the plugs for the teats so that no bacteria got into the udder while she waited to kid. Just strain the colostrum (yes it is suppose to be thick - some does colostrum is thicker then others) and freeze it in icecube trays. Makes for easier defrosting of what you need.

Welcome to TGS :wave:

Congratulations on the new additions!!! :leap:

3. LoveMyGoats

LoveMyGoats New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Thank you. :)
    We made it through the night and babies are looking good and nursing. :leap:
    Is there anything cuter than goat babies?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    NOPE! :love:

Wonderful news! I am glad they are thriving

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy to hear that............ :leap: :thumbup: