Cleo Kidded!- New pics added!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by jodief100, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Cleo kidded last night. :stars: She is a kiko doe bred to a boer buck. Triplets, first one was stillborn and two little girls. :kidred:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Re: Cleo Kidded!

Nice looking Boki kids..Keepers?

3. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011

Nope, supernumerary teats. Kim was very disappointed.

4. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN

Congrats, cute kids. What do you mean supernumerary teats?

5. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011

They have extra teats. In this case, smaller ones right next to the "primary" ones.

6. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK

:leap: Yay Cleo! Love the "Holly cow...did you just see what I did?" Look on her face.

7. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana

I am learning that some people Don't Really Care...Actually Prefer extra teats...Maybe you should advertise them as having Optional Equipment instead of a deformity...But what would I know or Kim or You...I wonder how many people that read this are running out to look underneath their does...hope they check their bucks as well....Good luck with the "rest of the herd"...

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

Congrats on the kids! they look healthy and mom looks content.

Boers were bred to have "Extra" teats, to feed multiple kids..it's NOT that we "Don't Really Care".. because that is plain wrong, I want to continue what has been working with the Boer breed for years, and breed the Boers as they were supposed to be... older styled, 2x2 teats, dark pigment. The only reason i'd see to have 1x1 teats is milking! I don't know anybody who milks their boers because their lactation period is not 305 days at 1-2 gallons...

so that does not necessarily mean that you need to sell these doe kids. unless your hell bent against 2x2 or want to milk them.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Adorable!! Congrats on 2 healthy :kidred: :stars:

10. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN

depends on the extra teats 1. if they have a teat canal 2. are they connected to the other teats? @ ()relics: I raise both dairy and meat goats, i bottle my dairy kids, I want my meat girls to have enough teats that if they have trips/ quads, I don;t have to bottle, them.
    @jodief : each breeder has to decide what works for them. No matter what they are still cute kids! :stars:

11. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011

I agree that extra teats are fine *if* they are seperated and functional. These are too small and too close to the primary ones. Probably will not be functional either.

Kim prefers 2 teated becasue she raises primarily milk goats, bottle feeds the babies and does milk all of hers, even the boers.

I think relics has had a lot of experience with people selling multi teated does that have poor overall teat structure. I know I have.

Thank you for all the kind words, we think they are adorable and will make someone a nice 4-H goat.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

()relics...We as Boer breeders... do care.. :wink: we want 1x1 or 2x2 "clean".....well spaced.... functionable teats... depending on the Doe ...if she throws the twins or trips....it is what we want in a Doe's teat structure......it wouldn't make since... to have a Doe.... that always gives trips ...to have trips fight over 1x1 teats.... we want that Doe... to be able to feed those kids... without having to supplement ...in which... does happen if ...the Doe isn't equipped properly... to support her own kids... it is only logic's ...we aren't asking for... deformities at all.... I see... it does bother you...about this issue and I am sorry for that... :( but..... we can't keep disagreeing on the same issue repeatedly....we know how each feels on this subject....Believe me....We boer breeders ...do respect other breeders and realize that...there are some breeders ....that prefer the 1x1 clean....only... so hopefully ...we can leave it at that..... and... to each his own.. :wink: :hug:

I agree whole heartily...Katrina... :thumb:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

jodief100...the kids are adorable.....congrats :love: :thumb:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Adorable. Congratulations.

15. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011

New pictures of the babies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

the babies are adorable congrats

17. Re: Cleo Kidded!

:love: :love: They are beautiful! Congrats!!

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Awww....dry pics.... even more adorable..... :thumb:

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

AWW! :love:
    they're stinkin cute!

20. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

They are just adorable!! Congrats! I really like your kidding pen by the way!