Clicker training challenge

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by LuvmyGoaties, May 17, 2010.

1. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I have clicker trained many dogs and a few horses. When I got my 2 goats last year I was planning on doing some clicker training with them but had not gotten around to it. Today I went out seperated them and spent some time clicker training. I was absolutly amazed at how quickly they caught on- probably faster than any of the other animals I ahve worked with. In about 5 minutes I had them targeting my hand no matter where I put it, even up over their heads where they had to stand on their hind legs to touch it.

So, here is the challenge I have for all of you out there....
    I do a better job of training if I have goal set by other people. I would like you all to make suggestions of tricks/behaviors to teach one or both of my goats. I will pick one or more, will teach the trick or behavior and will keep you all posted on my progress. So please start making suggestions. :idea:

Jen

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    well, teaching them to take a bow is always fun. :) I taught one of my does to go through tunnels and jump through hoops. :)

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Hmmm- how about teaching your goats to "count" with their hooves. It's an easy behavior to capture and one you can build on.

It's always nice to make the acquaintance of a fellow positive trainer. :) I have to agree, it's amazing how well and how quickly goats respond to clicker and target training. I think they are more intelligent than most folks realize.

The first behavior I taught my first goat was "pray for treats" <lol>. I now have five goats and between them they know the following cues: bow, count, shake, dance, Hi-ho! (rears up and Mwaaaaas), four on the "floor", spin, go to "place", on, up, and kiss me. One of my res does is very timid and targeting brings her out of her shell. Ironically, I use a leather crop (that I bought new specifically for this purpose) as a targeting stick. :slapfloor: It works great!

What kind of goats do you have?

Deb Mc

4. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Deb do you put this stuff on youtube? I'd love to see it. Or do you Luvmygoaties?

5. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    These are some great ideas. Keep them coming. :)

Deb - I always introduce the clicker with targeting. I find targeting to be a supper valuable tool. With my horses I used a dressage whip handle to target with, it allows me to target them at a further distance. My two goats are mini La Manchas, brother and sister doe and wether.

MiGoat - I have not put any clicker videos onto youtube yet but thought I might as I get into it more with Annie and Jessie.

6. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I did upload an old video of when I first started working w/my Angoras. But I'll have to track it down and post a link later. I lost the link and don't remember my user ID to access my Youtube account. Last week I switched over to Firefox after my IE got infected w/a blasted virus and all the files, including "Favorites" got corrupted. Lost everything. :(

In the meantime, here's a pic of Katie praying for treats. This photo was taken when she was still heavy in fleece...makes her look like a beached whale. :ROFL:

Jen - You'll have to post some pics of your goaties performing. Mini LaManchas - bet they are cute!

Deb Mc

Attached Files: