Clipper advice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by all1965, Dec 5, 2008.

1. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I am trying to find the right clippers for my goats. I need a heavy duty set that runs quiet and cool. The problem I have with the ones I have right now is that they get so hot so fast. Any advice on brand and model? Blades? I raise myotonics and want to clip them to about 1 1/2 to 2 inches for the show ring. We dont clip ours to the skin.

2. cybercat

cybercat Owner of 4 La Manachas.

Oct 17, 2007
    East Tn
    Your best one are Andis Ag super 2 speed or andis AGR+ cordless with ceramic blades. I am a pro pet groomer and have used many types and these are the best by far. The oster golden 5 runs hot way too hot these by andis do not. Best place to get them is Petedge.com it is the groomers catalog.

Good Luck.

Tamara

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Wow, thanks for that info Cybercat. And welcome to The Goat Spot. :clap:

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I love my Andis Super 2 speed, but keep in mind they are a small clipper and take quite some time to body clip a whole goat. They are super quiet though, and don't get too terribly hot.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree that andis makes cooler-running clippers. I will never buy Osters again...mine also run super hot...plus they need oiled and greased all the time or they don't run well.

I also agree about the ceramic blades...they stay sharp a lot longer and stay cooler.

6. cybercat

cybercat Owner of 4 La Manachas.

Oct 17, 2007
    East Tn
    One other thing here is a site that has videos that show clipper maintance. They are priceless for keeping your clipper in tip top shape. He will show you why your blades are not cutting right all of a sudden and how to fix it fast cheep and quick.
    He covers both Andis and Oster clippers.

http://www.northerntails.com/instructionalvideos.html

Tamara

7. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I have been a professional dog groomer for 15 years and agree with the others that the andis stay cooler longer. However if you have alot of goats to do or other animals you may want to look for clippers made for livestock. I agree petedge is best for pet clippers but I use nasco for my farm stuff. I know my andis 2 speed had a rough time going through the llama. So will be using the larger animal clippers next time. Cathy

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    do human hair clippers work? My mum has a pair that she doesnt want any more... and says I can have them (under duress). I would only use them for pre-birthing pre-milking haircuts.

What do you think?
    LW

(I cant afford a proper pair)

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    lesserweevil--the human-hair trimmers will work fine for that kind of hair cut. If you were going to do a full-body trim for a show or something, you'd definitely want a better pair, but since that's not the case, the ones your mom's giving you will be plently good enough.

10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I agree, human clippers work great for that type of stuff.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    human clippers work wonders for that!

for my body clips i use my lasor laube clippers.. they are super fast and stay really cool. you can use all kinds of blades with them too oster and andis

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Does anyone use Wahl brand? I have Wahl Arco SE. Haven't used it yet but it will be getting good use next year! :)

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i had some brand of wahl a few years ago.. they're ok but mine broke down like two years after i got them.. of course right after the warranty expired

but i use mine ALOT

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    we should have a thread on how to properly trim your goats, for show, birthing, or whatever. I just love the way farmgirl18 does boers, they look pro, which they are...i saw your pic in Goat Rancher magazine for the purchse of the high selling buck! :cool: