Clipper Blade question

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by artzkat, Aug 5, 2008.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Does anyone here use Wahl/Lister shearing clippers?

The blade that came with the clippers cut too close to the skin and a couple of my goats got nicked and slightly razor burned.
    Would a coarser blade solve this problem? Someone suggested using a fine hog blade that has a 1/2" guard attached. I'm thinking that may not be close enough.
    Wahl Lister also makes a "plucking Cover Cote" blade and an SS Wizard. Any idea how these work on Pygoras???

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Right now i'm using,,,real crappy, Wahl horse clippers, great for horses not as good for goats. I haven't had that problem though. Are you sure you're not just pushing down on the goats skin to hard? Maybe if you point them up a bit when you shave? It's likely it's the blade, but that might help a little.

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I have a pair of stablemates and the blade that comes with the clippers is a fine. Which is great for sheep and goats going to shows, but I use sheep head/course blades to do my ewe and ram. The sheep head leaves more then 1/4 inch of wool. Here a link to tractor supply one of the cheaps place to buy them. I've never clip an Pygora but the big the teeth probably the better. Shelly
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you keeping the blades cool while clipping? The lady who showed me how to clip used lamp oil to lubricate, cool and clean even during a clip job. The harder the blades have to work the hotter they become.

5. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    It's always a good idea to use some kind of cooling spray or something.. Also, having extra blades helps since you can swap them out when one gets too hot.. I agree that nicking them might be how you are holding the clippers.. You want to glide the blade along, not dig.. I know that's not the best explanation but you will get the hang of it with practice.. Also pulling the skin taught help to avoid nicking.. Also, don't go along any flaps, like the skin flap where their leg meets their body.. Instead go down it like a skier skiing off a cliff..