The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My Oster horse clippers are just not doing the job. I think I need to bite the bullet and get some clippers for sheep and goats. I shave down my male goats for the summer. One of my bucks has the thickest, dense fur that is a bear to get through. I need a clipper and blade that's going to be able to get through it.

Best choices are usually from those who've been there done that. I don't want to buy anything as expensive as these sheep clippers without getting some input from experienced users!

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
I have Oster A5 two speed clippers and they work great for my nigerians. They won't work for sheep though. I have shearmaster clippers for my sheep and llamas and they aren't the greatest especially for what I paid for them.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,979 Posts
Do you bathe the goats before you clip? That really helps with the wear and tear on the blades. It keeps them sharper because you are trimming through just the hair not hair and dirt and oil from the skin after you bathe the goats. There are special shampoos out there for goats, but you can just use a mild dish soap like Joy or Dawn. Don't use human shampoo though, because that will dry out the goats skin.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
If you use human shampoo make sure to use conditioner too... It dries the hair and skin out.

I like my andis 2 speed clippers. They are great for all types of clipping on goats, horses and dogs. Not sheep though, I use dawn with olay to wash and for boer does I'm clipping for show I also condition with tresseme for people. I spray every body with show sheen before blow drying... It makes the hair easier to work with.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the suggestions. I know you're supposed to bathe them before clipping, but I get lazy & impatient and usually bathe after the clipping. I know- wrong. :hammer:
I use horse shampoo usually- this time used Vetrolin. I think if I use the conditioner ideaa, it would help. It's this one buck I have that seems to be the toughest to clip- very thick and wiry hair.

I'm not sure whether or not I need shears or clippers. I would clip if it were for a show, but with this buck, a take down for the summer with no prizes for beauty contests would be alright for him.
Premier clippers look good. Anybody have them? Some of the prices I've seen floor me, especially the Lister sheep shears.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I got my Andis 2 speed clippers on Amazon for just over $100 (normally about $150). They work well, but had a hard time where one of my does still had undercoat. I just stopped, brushed out the undercoat and resumed clipping. I also didn't bathe them first... but I think I will next time. If summer ever shows up. ;)

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I just ordered lister legends. Thats what my ffa uses
They sheer 100's of goats and lambs every year and have lasted years.
They were $320 but came with a blade cleaning stuff and a hard case.
Their expencive but are amazing.

show goat/lamb equipment
www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains
These look good for wethers/dairy but what about breeding stock clip jobs? Is there anyway to use them with guards like smaller clippers?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard that Lister (now owned by Wahl) makes great clippers. I'll take a look at the Legend model. I think my husband would flip his lid if I spent that much, though. I already mentioned that good clippers would cost at least $280 to soften the blow, but he was definitely not pleased.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts