The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be best on an Angora or other Fibrous goat, clippers or shearing scissors? I would only have to clip 1, maybe 2 goats. We might even throw a few sheep in the farm mix but thats not for certain. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Electric shears for sure. So much more even and faster

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im for electric! I tried English type shears (the scissor type). They still look brand new. lol Its kinda like mowing the lawn. You could use the no power push reel mower or you could crank up a mower with an engine. Its just easier :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
For 1 or 2 goats I wouldn't buy an electric shearer. I have two different hand shears - one is the classic shape that takes insane hand muscles to use and I can't do it so they are just for decoration - the other is a more mechanical style but still looks antique that I found at an estate sale and they work SO well and takes no muscle at all. I sheared a Pygora in like 3 minutes with it. If you can find something like these (I'll put pics below) I would definitely recommend it cause they are awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cdanna - I'd love to try something like those out if I could find them. I wouldn't switch over 100% to using just that (I have rheumatoid arthritis and the repetitive motion would be tough) but there are situations where quieter is better..on a nervous preg doe I need to cool down in the spring or example. I've seen those in a video a while back and the professional shearer sheared the animal in a snap. Very cool to watch!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was totally amazed at how easy these ones were to use compared with the traditional type, I barely had to squeeze at all. Even on one of my does that got pretty matted up they cut through like butter. But yeah with arthritis it would still be tough I'm sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts