Clippers not cutting like they should.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jaytori220, Sep 5, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    So I bought a new pair of single speed Oster Golden A5 today. I used to have the two speed Oster Turbo for my horses and loved them but I couldnt find them. I clipped two of my goats today because they are just sweltering in this Florida heat and I cant watch them look horribly hot any longer. I still have 3 to go. I dont know if its the speed of the clippers, the goat hair or the blades but they seemed like they didnt cut easily. The Turbo's I use to have cut through hair like melted butter and these seemed to pull the hair from the start. They are brand new and the blades should be sharp. Any ideas as to why they arent cutting like they should? :shrug:

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Have you put greese or oil on them? They have a special kind of lubrication that they need sometimes. I always like to put it on my clippers about every 5 goats. Also, they might not be strong enough to cut the goats fur. I had one that was great for horses, but didn't work well for goats with shedding coats. Other than that, you might just want to let them cool down, I know clippers can get overheated pretty easily if you use them real often at one time.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Lubricating oil and coolant spray should be used about every 3 minutes to keep the blades cool, reduce friction and keep them sharp.

4. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I did put Lube Cool on them alot during the clipping. Didnt make much of a difference and they felt like that during the first cut. Im thinking its the goat hair being thick and kinda coarse. They are ND so I wouldnt think they would be any different then most goat hair. IDK.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    single speed is just to slow for the thick hair -- you need a faster clipper.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have used both the single and the double speed osters on goats. I wouldnt use cool lube on them at all. I never use cool lube, it just gums up the blades. WD40 or blade wash will not only clean your blades it will also cool them down. Put some in a bowl and turn your clippers on, and dip them in whatever you choose to use, you will hear the difference and see the hair coming out. Also oiling them every half hour or so is best. Bathing the goats before you clip really helps to make your clipper blades last longer.
    hope this helps,
    beth

7. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Yep, bathe 'em first if you can, and use a conditioner with some type of silicone (dimethicone, simethicone, etc). If you have something like Infusium leave in hair treatment or a leave in conditioner, put some of that on as a final rinse - don't wash it out (it adds more silicone). That makes the hair itself nicely lubricated and your clippers will work a *lot* better, stay cool, and stay sharp longer. I use oil + Kool Lube on the blades. Haven't tried WD, but I will next time.

The other thing is that some hair types clip significantly better when the hair is just slightly damp. That sometimes work on hair types that clog up the blades (like my terrier/poodle cross). You'll just have to experiment with that.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I dont like using silicone based conditioners, because it makes the hair brital. You can also add a few drops of dawn dish soap to your shampoo, this will help to break up the grease.
    beth

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what I use to cool and lubricate my clippers while clipping is Lamp Oil. Works good and easy to come by

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I use a single speed and mine clipped like a breeze. I clipped about 12 or so goats before the blades went dull. My thought is your blades maybe dull.

11. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I thought that but they were like that from the very first cut out of the box. They couldnt be dull out of the box could they? Maybe Ill try to get a new pair of blades and try all the other stuff everyone is saying. I so would hate to buy another pair of clippers. If I did I could just sell the new ones.....I so miss my old Turbos that I cant find!

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Did you oil the blades before you used them the first time? Blades always need to be oiled first. We have had people return clippers to the store because they wouldnt work out of the box. I always ask if people have oiles them. So far not one person has said yes.
    beth

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I think anythings possible.

However you have to play with the clippers to learn just how to clip. If you lay the blade wrong, it won't cut. If you lay the blade flat on the body it'll go through like a breeze.

The directions with my clippers said oil only when it squeals and oil only the dry bearing. Too much oil is harmful and will cause problems. Only grease when needed.