The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting clippers to shear my doeling for a show next month, and have had little success. I found that Andis and Oster are the most popular, but don't know which brand to go with. I checked out the Andis, and liked the amount of good reviews. I looked at the 2 speed clippers(ones recommended by many) but have found that the blade gets hot very quickly, and the majority of the styles are very heavy and awkward. Then I checked out the Oster, and they seem to only have one good product that is lightweight and small, but, despite the companies claims, has had quite a few complaints of loudness.

So, I'm starting over. I'm looking for a lightweight, small, smooth clipper(I have small hands) that will easily cut through goat hair, and last a long time. I won't be using it too often, just this summer mainly then maybe once or twice during the year. It will be used on my doeling(has baby hair still) and possibly on my other adult goats in case of lice or heat. Anyone who's experienced with clipping please recommend anything you think would be a good fit for my situation.

Thank you!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
This is the one I use. I've had it for 6 years, it's still going strong. I've used it on goats, dogs, people, and touch ups on horse faces and bridal paths. It has recharchable batteries.
http://www.wahlanimalstore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=WAH+8786%2D451+CHAM&.

The other one I like is the Oster Titan it cuts through hair like butter, but it is a bit bulky, and has a cord.
http://www.professionalbeautyandbarbersupply.com/Oster_gallery_ESS.htm

Sorry for the crappy links but i wasn't finding the clippers I was talking about hardly anywhere.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh those Wahls look really nice!! And they have adjustable blade sizes, which is really flippin cool. Are those the exact ones you have? I'm looking on amazon(we have prime so it's free shipping no matter what, so we would prefer to buy from there) and I've only found one like it, except the fact that it has Wahl on the top instead of Moser? It has all the same info on it though...also, how do the Wahl ones cut? Is it easy usually? How fast does it usually heat up? How high maintenance is it(oiling, cleaining, etc)?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked into the Amazon version( http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-8786-451...1373957395&sr=1-1&keywords=Wahl+Arco™+Clipper ) and am liking what I see very much. Apparently it runs smoothly, quietly, and cuts well(and, doesn't get hot fast!). And if there is any problem, the Wahl company seems to be very friendly and helpful in either fixing your clippers, or replacing them at no charge. I love how they are light, small, and cordless, just what I need for a fidgety goat kid! Plus, it comes with a whole kit! I will look into them a bit more, but I think I found the ones I want :D Thank you so much Lacie!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes those Wahl ones, the Arco SE are the exact ones I have. :)
They cut very easily, and never get hot on me, I can run the battery completely dead, and even then my blades will only be warm.
I run them in blade wash after every clip, and lightly oil them afterwards. I do that because you get maximum use from your blades that way, and the cleaner the blade, the easier it is in the motor.
But I can easily shave 10 goats a day with them, provided I had a charged battery always on hand.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I recently purchased a wahl chromando = corded or cordless, very light weight, runs smooth and doesn't heat up. So far I have clipped 4 ND and one husky , lol

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I purchased a $100 pair of Oster clippers and they gave out halfway through clipping the first goat. I contacted them and I can send them back but I wanted to clip the goats NOW. It's hot and they were mighty fuzzy. I bought a pair of Wahls for $20 and they clipped both goats in one outing and never got hot. :shrug:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
What kind if Oster? The professional ones are the better ones. I've had my Oster Titan clippers for 9 years, they still work, never had a problem, same blades still cut through hair like a hot knife through soft butter.
With Oster clippers, the quality is a big difference between a $100 pair, and a $200 pair.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh, actually, all the things I looked up said basically that Wahls were junk(at least the cheaper ones), and that Andis or Oster were the only way to go. However any Wahl product I look up seems to have much less problems than Andis or Oster, review wise. Plus, the Wahl clipper cuts at a higher rate, comes with a whole kit, is rechargeable, the blade is adjustable(saves a bunch of money on blades!), cordless, and 2 batteries! That's a lot better deal than any Andis or Oster I've found. You save money with these in so many ways!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts