Clipping Dairy Goats - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Jul 8, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Does anyone have any tips for clipping? I just attempted to clip one of my junior does the other day (not for the show ring but for her website picture). I didn't finish yet but I'm not very good at it. I do a good job on the rear legs and escutcheon but not so good at the body and making it "blend". Any advice?? What type of clippers does everyone use?

I do not have any "fancy" clippers yet (they are so expensive) but when I get them I want what works best for miniature goats. What I have now are the kind just used to clip dogs. It has a full set of blades and attachments. I was using 1/4" for the body and clipping closer on the rear legs. It never gets too hot around here so I don't want to clip them too short.

I'm all for suggestions so please let me know what you do!

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hi Olivia, the first thing is - a guard will not clip smoothly. I HIGHLY recommend the Wahl Switchblade clippers. And a few clipper blades, #10 for bodies and a #40 for udders. I also recommend a #7 for when it is a little chilly out. It may take a day or so for their fur to soften out so you can't see the lines. Practice, Practice, Practice...

Good luck!! :greengrin:

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh and WELCOME!!!! :wave: