clipping for showing

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by ruedyranch, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    I am overwhelmed with all the clippers available on the market. They range in price from $60-300+. Can someone give me an opinion on what brand and style I should purchase for clipping my boer and saanen goats for shows?

2. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Would also be interested in hearing the answer to this. I groom dogs and use an oster A5 clipper, would that work for body clipping a goat for show also, I hate those big clippers the A5 just fits my hand better

3. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Everyone has different opinions on "The Best" clippers to use/buy. I use a dog clipper with 3 different sized guards. I have a horse clipper, as well, that I use for my horses but the dog clipper just seems to me to be the right size to get Everywhere on a goat without having to switch from a bigger model to get the tight spaces. Pricewise, pretty much you get what you pay for....Buy a cheapy and it may last 1 season/1 week. It also would depend on the number of animals you were going to clip all at once...Cheaper clippers can get REALLY hot if you try to slick shear 10 wethers for a show. I would say aim for the middle of the pack for your first set of clippers. Oster models are dependable and can be serviced if they are not working properly but they can get rather pricey. Maybe you cold find a used set somewhere or borrow a one from someone to try it out. Find what works best for you, kind of like when you buy a saddle, have to sit in it for a few hours before you know if you like it or not.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have an Oster A5 with 10 blade for body clipping. Jeffers has quite a few to choose from and lots of blade options. ;)

5. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Hope I'm not thread hijacking, but how long should the hair be with a show clip? I have dairy does if that makes a difference. Thanks!