Clipping Goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PACE, Mar 28, 2008.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I don't show or milk, since I have wethers, two Nigerians and an Alpine, but I want to clip Shanti this year. He has a tough time shedding his winter coat (which gets really thick and is wonderful to bury your hands in on a old winter's day) and ends up getting hot and miserable and rubbing agains everything he can... plus I just want to try clipping. I have a good set of dog clippers, nothing fancy, but I'm sure they'll do. First off, how do you go about clipping a goat? I want to do a "show clip" just to see how it turns out (the good thing about hair is it grows back :wink: ) So I'd really appreciate it if someone could walk me through it, step by step. Do you go with the hair, or against it? Where do you start? etc.

Pictures showing what it sould look like are also very welcome!

I don't plan on clipping him until May, probably, when he'll still be shedding, and the weather will be consistently warm. When do you usually clip? Thanks :)

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I usually start at the rump, and I always shave against the fur. Then I move to the feet and legs and then I do the head. It makes it MUCH easier to clip if you have a milkstand. With a show clip you shave their entire body (every single hair) but you leave a poof at the end of their tail.

I actually clipped my first goat of the season yesterday. I will be clipping everyone that I am showing around April 5th.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    use some sort of clipper guard at first. I will be posting pictures of aspen's udder adn you will see how silly thye look if you dont'; use a guard! Black goats come up very whitish and histerical looking!

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have never had a problem with black goats, especially when they have nice fur and skin. I clip their bodies with a #9 and feet and legs with a #10. I clip udders with a #30 and then I go over with a razor.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    number system is different on human clippers vs whatever you are using. But i used a clipper without a guard on it and it is SKIN close and she looks white. I dont know what the show clippers look like but if using normal human ones you want to use at least a number 1 clipper guard.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use a #10 on the body and a #40 on the udder. Those sizes are with Oster horse clippers. They are plenty old and have a crack down the middle from a horse, but they still work great. :slapfloor: I haven't actually shown, I just like to clip them in the summer cause it gets so hot and they look good. :wink: Oh and a hairy udder is a bit harder to milk and harder to clean.

7. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I wasn't sure about the guard. I was planning on using it to start out, but I'm not sure if it would be close enough... luckily I don't show so it won't really matter how silly Shanti looks, except for the fact that he'll be a laughing stock for a while :lol:

And for anyone who doesn't know he is a black goat. I know you want to clip dark goats earlier before a show than light goats to give the hair a chance to come back a bit...

How do you get around the face and eyes? He's a good boy, and usually does what I want, but has his moments when he's a lil' stinker lol. Is there a danger of cutting them, especially around the belly and other sensitive areas?

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate all the help :)

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    That is part of the reason I love my new Switchblade clippers. I don't know if it has anything to do with the brand of clippers but When clipping I haven't knicked them at all, so they like it too!

With black goats you do want to clip them awhile before a show.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    again I dont' know about the show type clippers. BUT with the kind I use every day you can't cut someone with them. That is why I always show kids by tapping it on my hand or wrist so they know it will not cut them.