The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The summers here are hot and humid; and my buck (250 lb Nubian) is the one who appears to suffer the most. Thus, today I took my new Andis Pro clippers (Had purchased those to use on my Karakachan when the time is right.) to the barn to clip Alginon's (my buck) hair. First I combed him real well because there is a lot of fuzz close to his skin. Then I attached a blade that would leave 5/8th of an inch of hair and attempted to cut Alginon's hair (following the way it flowed/grew). The blade would not cut it at all.

Can anyone tell me why this new blade would not cut? Alginon's hair is quite coarse; still this is a "new" blade. I'm baffled!

·
Super Moderator
59,751 Posts
Probably too much hair is getting into the blade. It also may be too course. What blade number was it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In looking at my blades, I have a #10 that came on the Andis clipper. I have two size 7FC I ordered separately for my Karakachan; and they sent me a complimentary "size 5/8" HT". It was this 5/8" HT that I used on Alginon and did not cut. I didn't try any of the other blades a I figured they would cut the hair shorter than what I wanted it.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
If he hasn't shed his winter coat all the way or he has thick hair, it can be hard to clip through. You may want to bathe him first. Dawn soap works well. But you sometimes just have to wait to clip until that summer coat is all the way in.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the dawn bath cleaned him well; but it did nothing for his "coarse" hair and my Andis clipper (brand new) will not cut it. :( Did I get the wrong clipper? Using the wrong blade?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Do your clippers have a tension adjustment? That may be your problem we use cattle clippers to take off this thick coat, but the tension does need adjustment from time to time

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree with Stacy. I use a #10 blade, as do most people. It looks short at first, but you just need to give it a couple weeks.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Sometimes clippers get stuck when you try to clip too fast. I had a word for that, I used to be a hair dresser, but I forgot as I was thinking about it. Try going very slow against the grain/growth of the hair. Like I said, if you try to clip too fast they will get jammed up, and you will have to pull them back out of the hair, and try again. If it happens again, try a different spot for a bit.
Make sure you run them through blade wash, and oil them a bit after you first get them, and after every clip, and make sure you thoroughly clean the hair out each time.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Hi. Would a number 5 work for goats? Thank you
Also, are you showing your goat? If so when is the show?
And again, is it the #5 blade or guard you want to use? The #5 blade is a 1/4 inch length cut, the #5 guard is 5/8 of an inch cut (normal standard lengths..) What clippers are you using?

Normally for a dairy goat clip, they are clipped with a #10 blade, with is 1/16th of an inch. And it i let to grow out for a bit.

But a 1/4 inch clip would be fine, tid bit long, but fine.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have a pair of Andis clippers too. I really like them, but I do have to go slow. I try to spray them with cleaner/coolant every few minutes as needed. That always seems to help if their starting to lag, which they tend to do with my doelings hair.

I'm not sure if this is the standard with goats but would it help if you went from the belly up? Same doe I mentioned I couldn't get any hair off her body, but I was able to get some off her belly and then I just worked my way up from there..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts