Clipping hair on udders? Cinammon and Hallie day 118

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    It's SOOOOOO cold outside right now that I haven't clipped Cinammon's and Hallie's udders yet. The temps are bouncing around from the 60s to below freezing at night. When should I clip the hair on their udders? They are day 118 right now, due on Feb 4. I don't want them being too chilly. Is it ok to clip now?

Angie

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I have to laugh, becuase I was thinking the same thing, then I realized, your in NORTH CAROLINA and we are in MASS.

HUGE difference! (For example tomorrow night, the low is 5, yep 5!)

:) I dont think your does are going to be harmed by clipping their udders (dont do a show clip though, it doesnt need to be that close) I would wait until like a week and a half to two weeks before she kids.

3. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    I've done all of mine already. I only clip their udders and just around the edges of the vulva, tail, etc...to keep it cleaner when they kid. You can see on my Preggers Bellies post...

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I didn't clip Xcell last year and she stayed pretty clean. I also couldn't clip her last year because she was so wild! :slapfloor:

Don't know if I will clip Dorcas or not, but everyone else will be clipped since it should be warmer when they kid. 5F is just too cold!

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have never clipped any of my girls or their udders.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Last year was the first time I ever clipped udders...and Iwaited til the week they were ue because all my kids were born btween end of January to mid February. I did it because it did work out to be easier to keep mom clean and when I started milking them I didn't care to be pulling their hair as I pulled on a teat..lol

7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I clip udders about a week from the due date.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i usually shave udders a week prior in warm times

when its cold though ( though nowhere near as cold as you guys) i use thinning shears for dog grooming( you can get a fairly decent pair at petsmart for like 8 bucks) it trims longer hairs and such.. but it doesn't expose the skin.. works great

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I tend to do mine between days 140-145. But mine aren't due till the beginning of March. However, I'd do it most any time of year though.

10. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Re: Clipping hair on udders? Cinammon and Hallie day 119

HAHA! I know it's nowhere near as cold here as up north, but it does keep dipping--occasionally--down into the teens. That's still pretty darn chilly--enough that I wouldn't want my *chest* exposed :shocked: HAHAHA! :ROFL: But I guess since the goats are outdoors 24/7 they are probably acclimated a lot better than I would be. :)

Thanks for all of the advice! I definitely wanted to clip so I can see udders and milk more easily, as well as keep things cleaner during delivery. I just wasn't sure whether or not I was clipping tooooooo soon. I'll wait until about a week before. Say, about day 140 or so. :) :stars: