Clipping Hooves - How Often?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Tyler, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    How often should I clip my goats hooves? Is it based on what they look like from month to month?

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Usually about once a month, just make sure you check them often. Mine need a trimming every 3-4 weeks.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Each goat is different...as is their home. Some goats do well with trimming monthly while others are fine with every 2 months, depends on how well they wear the hoof.

I do mine at least once a month.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    all are different,

while you're out there check their feet every few days and clip as needed, looked through my records, some have it 1 every 2-3 months and others need it more or even less often!

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    It really varies greatly. If your soil is rocky or pebbly, you might not have to do them ever. I have one goat I never have to do, and then I have one I have to do every two weeks or so because she needs corrective trimming. So it really depends. If the hoof is growing out funny, and starting to look "elfish" then it's definately time to trim.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

During the winter time i do mine every three weeks as washington is so wet. It keeps problems like hoof rot from arising.
    beth

7. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
  8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I check daily during the routine checks and trim when needed. I have one who has to be trimmed every 2 weeks without fail due to a severe case of hoof rot. Never let your goats feet get like this, no matter what!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12493

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Ugg! My doe has back hooves that curl under like that. I really have to keep it in check. When I got her, her hooves were so bad. I still haven't been able to fully fix her hooves yet.