The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Look on YouTube. I think I've seen one there but it is really easy.

I'd be more than happy to explain here how I do it. If I knew how to work YouTube I'd make a video on it. All I can do on it is search and watch videos.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Dani- if you make a google account (with Gmail), then you will be automatically logged into a Youtube account. You can then go to the top of your Youtube page and hit upload :) It takes 3 hours hour to upload a 5 minute long video, though!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dani, that would be great if you could! Also I have looked and I just can't find any videos on it! Also, my fair is the very beginning of August when do you think i should start clipping them? This is my first year and I would like to get the hang of it so when fair comes my goats don't look terrible! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Thanks Katelyn! I'm not good with apps and things like that... I can work my phone enough and the computer enough lol. I may make a couple wether specific videos and highlight the harder parts. Do you guys think it would be helpful? I';m not an expert by any means of the word but I can at least show how I do it.

I know where to stop shaving legs, around the hooves, tail and head can be hard for newbies. Thats where I struggled for a while.... I had some messed up clip jobs before some told me stop here and do this instead... Now its a breeze.

A basic wether clip is all the hair, everywhere EXCEPT below the knees an hock and a little pom pom on the tail. To avoid lines pull the skin taunt... You wont hurt the goat by pinching and pulling his skin. They're pretty tough. I shave the hair around the feet too but its harder because you want to blend it in so its done different. If you not comfortable with clippers yet you can use scissors. I clean up around the hoof and dew claw.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
You can start clipping now to get the hang of it. Clipper lines are going to happen so you want to practice and probably do it a few day- a week before your shows.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
This is a fairly basic video on clipping. I didn't hear the sound, so no idea what that part is like.

I think it would be very helpful, Dani, to have a clipping video. If not, at least some pictures :) I don't clip my wether until July so it would be a while!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dani, thanks I think I am going to start now and I think you should make a video and then put the link on this thread! That would be very helpful!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'll see if my sister will help me make a video. I do more detail work than the above video... Mostly around the feet because I think it makes a huge difference. I also take a lot more when trimming the hooves... Otherwise you can't expect them to brace good or stand completley straight.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Is is like a dog size clipper or sheep shear? If its small than 7fc blade. For sheep shears I'm not sure but I think extra cover coat blade is what you need

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Not yet. My sister isn't really cooperating

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
He looks good! My only tip.is.you can take more off his tail... let me see if I have a pic of a wether I clipped. If I do I will post it so you can see what I mean. Otherwise he looks great!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Not a great picture of him.... he was tired and uncooperative. But you can kind of see how I do the tail. Not saying its right but that's what I do

2013050995151458.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you clip the head and the under belly on a whether? Also how short are you taking yours? It looks a lot shorter then mine!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts