The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a new Nigerian dwarf buck and were wanting to put him with our does to breed them but I don't think he knows what he's doing. He herds the girls around the yard and doesn't really show any interest in mounting them. I'm wondering if he'll get the job done.. Never had this problem before.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
A third option is that he may really just be clueless. We have one of those. He's only attracted to humans.

But hopefully, yours is one of the above mentioned! :eek:

·
1,983 Posts
Last year Beau-Tye was a clueless buck. He was also young 6 months. He was interested but had no idea what he was doing. I took a doe up to him in full standing heat. She back her rearend right up to him. He sniffed her waggled his tongue and looked at me like what do I do now? He got so frustrated he just wondered off. Then fat Nugget came into heat, and they already had a bit of a romance. He was still clueless where to put it. He mounted her head, and mounted her from the side, then FINALLY he figured out where and how to put it. And then he fainted once he made his very first deposit. Flat on his back, feet straight up in the air, eyes rolled up into his head. Once he figured it out it was all over. He broke into the pen and bred every single open doe I had. So maybe he just needs an experienced cougar to show him the ropes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bucks little over two years old. He's taking our old bucks place and is going to be the main buck. And he just chases the girls around. Our one doe Sookie is in heat but the other isn't so I know he isn't interested in Lucy but he herds them around because Sookie sticks to Lucy.

·
1,983 Posts
Pull your doe out with your buck and see if he can't get the job done. How long have these does gotten to know him? If he's new to them they aren't as receptive to a stranger. Sometimes a goat needs to be courted.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
He fainted?! Weird, must've been a shock to him, lol. That would've freaked me out big time. I hope my young buck figures it out on his own, don't want him fainting on me, lol!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have been around him not in the same area but they are kept near each other with a fence divining them so they've seen each other..

·
1,983 Posts
He fainted?! Weird, must've been a shock to him, lol. That would've freaked me out big time. I hope my young buck figures it out on his own, don't want him fainting on me, lol!
Scared the crap out of me! He only fainted the first time. After that he strutted around like a pro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope we have put them together the past month but he has no idea what to do. So I put them back where they were

·
Registered
125 Posts
Last year Beau-Tye was a clueless buck. He was also young 6 months. He was interested but had no idea what he was doing. I took a doe up to him in full standing heat. She back her rearend right up to him. He sniffed her waggled his tongue and looked at me like what do I do now? He got so frustrated he just wondered off. Then fat Nugget came into heat, and they already had a bit of a romance. He was still clueless where to put it. He mounted her head, and mounted her from the side, then FINALLY he figured out where and how to put it. And then he fainted once he made his very first deposit. Flat on his back, feet straight up in the air, eyes rolled up into his head. Once he figured it out it was all over. He broke into the pen and bred every single open doe I had. So maybe he just needs an experienced cougar to show him the ropes.
Yep, having the same exact thing happening this year with my new Lamancha buckling. He also fell over backwards after the first time but he sure got up fast. I was standing there and cracking up laughing. When I went to put him back into his own pen he tried to spray me! He has never done that before but I guess it was payback for laughing at him.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe you could put the buck and doe together in a smaller area or stall. He may figure out what to do if he does not have so far to chase her. I had the opposite problem I had a buck that was 4 1/2 months old and in total rut. He was trying to mount everything-young males, the dog, the picnic table...etc. He was constantly spitting, tongue out, pawing. He tried to jump fences to get with females. I ended up selling him to be a herd sire out of state.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That may be the funniest thing I've read in this forum.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had this problem also... Turned out to be my doe more than my young inexperienced buck... Sure he was fumbling but she needed to be with just him for a while and she took to him after a couple days. Once she was used to him he got the chance to do his job properly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts