The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Clyde is a pretty stereo typical goat. He will eat alotta things Bonnie won't. So I was walking him yesterday and he went up to a tree that has a Carpenter ant hill around the bottom..well genius intentionally goes over the noses at it, then starts eating a mix of dirt and ants..which I pulled him off but he went back at it two or three time.

He's fine and all they didnt really get after him to much but it just struck me as odd.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
So Clyde is a pretty stereo typical goat. He will eat alotta things Bonnie won't. So I was walking him yesterday and he went up to a tree that has a Carpenter ant hill around the bottom..well genius intentionally goes over the noses at it, then starts eating a mix of dirt and ants..which I pulled him off but he went back at it two or three time.

He's fine and all they didnt really get after him to much but it just struck me as odd.
Could have not actually been the ants he was after.... could have been that earth that came from deep down... may have had a vite or mineral that his body needed so it tasted good to him.

Ours always have loose mineral out and eat as needed. But recently we put a huge old stump in their digs... the first week or so omg! The red noses and hooves they all had. It has probably four ft of roots with dirt on it. They have had a ball eatin and playin with it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My goat kids do this every year.... I see them out in the field running and stomping like crazy, and I have to go out and rescue them from those horrid little ants climbing up their legs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the only thing I can figure is the ants churn some mineral out the goats eat the ants as part if them eating the soil

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Well it is normal for goat kids to eat/nibble dirt I think. But weird that Clyde is doing it at his mature age. (rofl)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well he does love his mineral block and minerals. I got him a berry buck block and now all times of the day and night you'll hear him out there gnawing at it

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
You know the best way get rid of ants is chickens two free roaming and your ants r gone
I need to use that argument. Do they work on fire ants?

Reactions: MadCatX

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got 3 free range chickens including a rooster and we still have these carpenter ants.

yes they have another mineral as well.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Not at my house/pastures. 14 hens & 1 rooster. Also have free-roaming guineas & turkeys. Fire ants are really bad right now. If we could breed ant-eating baby Clydes we could be rich.
Oh well, there went that idea.:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well... It seems ants are a good source of protein, iron, calcium and Omega3. Seems Clyde is weird smart. Do your own independent research since I’m no expert and didn’t quote my sources. I don’t want to get in deep trouble with a moderator but this is funny and a fresh change of pace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts