The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt want to junk up some ones post with all this so I thought a new thread would be best...Im reading conflicting information on CMPK

the paste is caustic? should not use
Injection is better and cheaper
:confused:

this is the best answer I found so far...found on Farm and Goat conversation

"CMPK Gel vs. Liquid Oral CMPK

Now that kidding season is upon us, I would like to share a point brought up by Dr. Ralph Zimmerman DVM during a lecture I attended. We were on the subject of Ketosis and Hypocalcemia and their treatments. Especially the use of CMPK gel in tubes. His point sounded pretty good to me, since I had to go through a ketonic doe 2 years ago.

The gel in the tube is caustic and burns the inside of the mouth and throat. Main objective in treatment is to get calcium levels back up and the doe eating. With the continued use of the gel, the mouth is burned repeatedly.

I know the doe I was treating let me know in no uncertain terms that the stuff was terrible! Little did I know how much so until I got some on my mouth by her head slinging and trying her best to spit it out...she would bleat in pain.

His suggestion was to use the Oral CMPK Liquid. It's usually right beside the gel tubes in the feed stores. I keep mine refrigerated and give it cold. When I did have to give a doe in slow labor some last year, she actually took the syringe and sucked on it!"

I hope this clears it up lol..I know I was sure puzzled...and now I feel like I learned something new :stars:

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what I have read so far...But Im still reading..I read here a few days ago some one said the liquid burns too, which to me makes since, its the saem stuff only diluted..so maybe just does not burn as bad as gel......so Im trying to find that and go from there ...Im thinking injectable would be the best route at this point to be sure.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so far I see many use the liquid..say the goats hate it and act like your killing them...One person said it does burn and so if she needs to use it she flushes their mouth with water after she gives it to them...also Im reading that Excess calcium can cause cardiac arrest that you should not use CMPK in every case..only when they goat has sub temps
Several have written they dilute the liquid with gatorade...
Im sure I can keep reading and keep getting different answers lol..But at this point Im going to assume even the liquid burns..and should be used diluted or use injectable..

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have read the same stuff! I bought the CMPK drench but haven't used it yet. The Nutridrench has calcium in it, plus upping the alfalfa too seems to help some.

I had to give a doe some medicine last year that was bitter and she acted like I tried to poison her! My husband freaked out that I did something wrong. So I have been hesitant to use any CMPK yet....

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
Mixing it with sno cone syrup is supposed help a lot and the sugar won't hurt.
Actual CMPK injectable is RX (here anyway) you can get injectable MFO at the feed store. The Potassium in the CMPK is suposed to help prevent the heart problems. We don't use it IV anyway which is very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you goathiker...I was told by Susan, from Tennesseemeatgoats to never to add sugar which creates a breeding environment for bacteria in the goats gut...lol..(I wanted to add sugar to Sulmet).I respect Susan and her experiance.. As for CMPK, I haven't used it at all..but want to know how best to use it when its needed...what is the difference between CMPK and MFO?

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
CMPK Injection contains calcium, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium in a dextrose solution.
MFO is the same thing but is an oral solution.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm the weirdo that has tasted calcium drench and MFO solution, it is awful and does burn and tingle. If I give it, I dilute it with gatorade, but I rarely use it- For treatment I truly feel the injectable is the way to go. It's RX here too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found out this after a large run-around with the vet with hypocalcium:

It depends on the type of calcium in the drench or gel. If it's Calcium Chloride or Calcium Citrate, run away. Calcium Carbonate is the only one that doesn't burn, and is made more naturally from sources such as minerals, etc. I switched to Calcium Carbonate for everything and haven't had a problem since.

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
This thread is like 5 years old... Calcium Carbonate contains lead naturally. Be really sure of your source.

Since this thread was made there are many more products to use and other ways of doing things to prevent the problems.

Oh, and properly made Calcium Citrate does not burn, I take it every week...

·
Registered
766 Posts
i hope to resurrect this thread. I JUST BOUGHT 2 big tubes of CMPK gel because my doe's labs show she is hypocalcemic (it is calcium chloride). I tasted it, it is HORRID. And now I read it is caustic and burns the mouth. I am going to return it. Years ago I tried giving Goats Prefer Calcium liquid (which is calcium chloride & burns according to the earlier post) to a doe before kidding, and she acted like she was poisoned too. (whoever misnamed THAT product??)
What is the best way now, in 2019, to supplement calcium to a slightly hypocalcemic doe, other than injection?

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I used calcium gummies from the pharmacy but I'm not sure it will be enough for your doe. My doe kidded triplets without a problem though. The last couple weeks I also gave her a couple of tums daily. I fed alfalfa hay and pellets too. It might help yours too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts