The Goat Spot Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMPK oral or inject??

19K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I didnt want to junk up some ones post with all this so I thought a new thread would be best...Im reading conflicting information on CMPK

the paste is caustic? should not use
Injection is better and cheaper
:confused:

this is the best answer I found so far...found on Farm and Goat conversation

"CMPK Gel vs. Liquid Oral CMPK

Now that kidding season is upon us, I would like to share a point brought up by Dr. Ralph Zimmerman DVM during a lecture I attended. We were on the subject of Ketosis and Hypocalcemia and their treatments. Especially the use of CMPK gel in tubes. His point sounded pretty good to me, since I had to go through a ketonic doe 2 years ago.

The gel in the tube is caustic and burns the inside of the mouth and throat. Main objective in treatment is to get calcium levels back up and the doe eating. With the continued use of the gel, the mouth is burned repeatedly.

I know the doe I was treating let me know in no uncertain terms that the stuff was terrible! Little did I know how much so until I got some on my mouth by her head slinging and trying her best to spit it out...she would bleat in pain.

His suggestion was to use the Oral CMPK Liquid. It's usually right beside the gel tubes in the feed stores. I keep mine refrigerated and give it cold. When I did have to give a doe in slow labor some last year, she actually took the syringe and sucked on it!"

I hope this clears it up lol..I know I was sure puzzled...and now I feel like I learned something new :stars:

See less See more
#28 ·
You are welcome.

I get a different syringe and put it into it from the big tube.

For dosage maybe 15 to 30 cc's, once or 2 x a day. Depending on severity.
It is hard to say without seeing the goat in person.
Sometimes giving CMPK 1 x straightens them up. If she gets better there is no need to continue unless she is showing symptoms then as I mentioned, could be 1 to 2 x a day or as needed.

Feeding alfalfa hay helps calcium levels.

Baking soda, 3 cc's to the rest water in a 12 cc's syringe. Drench slowly.

On the follow up water, yes, 50cc of water 2X. Do it slowly as well.

Also clean any off around her mouth, with a wet cloth.

#29 ·
Thank you Pam. I've put this all into a document on how to give CMPK orally so I have it, very useful.

I have confusion now as to whether CMPK is needed by her. Her labs showed "low normal calcium". She has not the symptoms of hypocalcemia of lower appetite, subnormal temp, constipation or decreased rumination. I am making sure she continues to eat alfalfa, which is their primary feed. She has been inclined to a slight fever, eating okay, nursing kids okay. I just don't know that I need to put her through this procedure.

It was quite hot here yesterday and she had a higher temperature and lethargic, so the vet said to give her Banamine, and she was feeling better within the hour.
Today it's cooler and she's still doing better, though not normal.

The other day it seemed her legs were tired/sore in coming up stairs to the upper pen, but that went away. Her symptoms come and go.

She has had 2 doses of Excede antibiotic for a unidentified infection, due to her higher temps, 104.2-104.9. Her exams 2X in the last week have been good, other than she is much more docile than normal. She's nursing the 5-week-old kids well. Puzzling. I am giving her some Calcium gummies - not positive she's eating them yet, but I think so.

#31 · (Edited)
Her temp is back to normal, 103.2. I agree she doesn't need CMPK.
Rebuilding Rumen: She's been getting probiotics almost daily. When she 1st got symptoms we thought she had mild goat polio and she got many Fortified Vit B complex injections. She hasn't had any since 7/5.
Her inner eyelids have been fine.
I started her on Replamins.
Legs, sometimes she just seems generally weak/tired when coming up the goat stairs from one pen to another. Other times not. Sometimes favors her right front leg (I could find nothing wrong with it or hoof). Symptoms come and go.
White tail deer are not native to California.

Currently, her temp is normal but she is still very docile and rather slow. Her normal self is skittish and fast. Yesterday she was laying down in her shed and I could take her temp. with her lying down. This is so unlike her. I describe her as generally depressed, but with good appetite, nursing kids well. Low activity level. The vet has no idea what's wrong with her. One of her ear tips got scraped and is all crusty. I cleaned it yesterday & applied NuStock to it.
On 6/23 she started out with a whole different set of symptoms which led us to think she may have mild goat polio.
On 7/11-13 she was treated with Safeguard for worms found on fecal.
On 7/12 she got 2nd shot of Excede antiobiotic. Her fever spike was 7/15.
Symptoms have changed now to a low energy, very docile goat with no diagnosis. But at least I don't feel like I'm losing her!

#32 ·
Give fortified vit B complex SQ.
6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ daily 2 x a day, for a while.
Probiotics 1 x a day.

Give nutradrench as directed on label for goats for a few days, will also help with energy. Don't give too long, as it burns the throat.

Does she have mineral deficiency signs?

Some here swear by garlic, that may help too. Look up some of the threads on it.

Her immunity may be down.

#41 ·
What is the best way now, in 2019, to supplement calcium to a slightly hypocalcemic doe, other than injection?
I like to use carrot and celery juice when my goats need a bit of a boost. Juice 50/50 and feed same dose as CMPK.

Reactions: goatblessings
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.