CMPK question and Concern over Angie

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Apr 26, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Need dosage for regular CMPK of course I have the stuff never needed to use it and now I dont know what the dosage is :shrug: :doh:

edit: I found that I had used it before and gave 15cc

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Need dosage for regular CMPK

I gave Trinity 12cc about 4 hours prior to kidding. I know that Sweetgoats gives hers before and after kidding.

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Need dosage for regular CMPK

ok thats just about what I gave.

Angie isnt eating so I am trying to help her out - not sure what the problem is.

She did nibble at some grain but not much.

What I have given so far
    3cc B complex (SQ)
    15ccs of CMPK Gel
    10CCs of Nutri Drench
    5ccs of Jump Start gel (like probios in a way)

I have syringed water into her as she isnt drinking either. About 180ccs which is bearly a cup of water - :(

All of this since 9:30am this morning and it is 1:14pm

She does eat treats though so I am feeding her treats :shrug:

I just moved her back into the stall as it is cooler then outside (90*) and she peed for the first time today since i have been out there and it was bright yellow (B complex maybe?) and then she had this: with a temp of 103.2 (checked twice got the same temp) so she is still good

Attached Files:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Have you tried some molassas water?

Sometimes they are more about thier kids for the first 24-48 hours and not their self. Maybe some yogurt if she will eat it or oatmeal?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    with no temp..............sounds like Milk fever

did she drop her after birth? What I see in the pic it isn't her bag....

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she dropped afterbirth easily yesterday

then she had the normal pink/red discharge but that went away by this morning. This is the only discharge I have seen since last night and it came after she peed. it is probably normal but just trying to give all information.

I dont think it is milk fever/hypocalcemia because she is not weak - just isnt eating.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you gave her everything I would have given my girls, that string of discharge is odd though...did you bounce her to see if there was another kid? Unlikely but I would do it just to reassure myself. If it is as hot there as it is here, it's likely the heat that has her appetite down, try some oatmeal and molasses...mine enjoy it even when they won't touch the grain. Also, to entice her to drink, try some kool aid or gatorade....even a freeze pop, it's liquid and the coolness of it may help her out.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I bounced her - I dont think ther is another kid. She hasnt shown any signs of straining or any discomfort besides the heat.

If by tomorrow she isnt eating then I will call a vet but for now I will just hope it is the heat.

May give her another B complex shot later in the day and see if that helps her

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am assuming that she kidded. Sorry I have been at a goats show and have not seen all the posts just yet.

I would do the Molasses water and have it cool. The CMPK, I have to be totally honest, I just give it to them because they spit half of it out so I just give them more. So I do not know how much they really get.

Like I said I will look for her baby information but I sure would check for another baby. Have had a doe twice kid, and drop the placenta and I found another baby inside.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Lori.......with the coloring and the discharge from that picture of her.....it appears like... when they are in between kidding 's....If there is a kid still in there.....after the after birth drops out.... in most cases.... it is likely ....a kid will be dead inside.....the doe most of the time ....will not contract when the kid is dead.... :hug: I pray that ....it isn't the case and there isn't a kid in there at all...... :pray:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I bounced her - there is no kid Also checked ligaments - they are firm again so there is no going in even if I wanted to.

It went from 40-90 in a matter of hours so the heat has got to be playing a role in this

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is a big temp change for sure... it could very well be. :wink:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    FINALLY cooling down. She was nuzzeling my pocket for the treats and she ate them with relish and wanted more but I was out. She licked at her water.

She was maaing for me when I left her

All these things she wasnt doing before so it makes me SO Much happier.

And of course the kids are no up as well (they had been laying around all day) and they nursed real well then little girl decided to lay in the grain dish :roll: to cute

[attachment=0:38kihnpm]Angie's Kids 040.jpg[/attachment:38kihnpm]

[attachment=2:38kihnpm]Angie's Kids 038.jpg[/attachment:38kihnpm]

[attachment=1:38kihnpm]Angie's Kids 037.jpg[/attachment:38kihnpm]

Attached Files:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like it is a heat issue...... :hug:

So happy she is doing better......... :hug:

That is to cute....with the baby in the grain pan.... :love:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    CMPK is calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, right?

FWIW, I get the same sort of thing but injectable, and mine has glucose as well. It comes in a bag with a tube and needle on the end, you stick the needle under the skin and squeeze the bag until a lump about half the size of your fist appears under the animal's skin. I figure this way I know they are getting the dose they need, not spitting it out. I dont hesitate to give some to any doe that looks down, either pre or post kidding. I kept vanity alive on it for almost 7 weeks when she prolapsed prior to kidding. I figure its not that easy to overdose on it, since I was giving it to vanity 3 times daily for a while there.

Glad to hear she's doing better ... my babies sleep in the feed pan too!

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wish I could get it like a SQ fluid type but it is hard to get stuff like that over the counter.

I moved her out of the stall out into the pen again and she was happy and more alert and chewing cud etc.

I had moved her out of the pen because there was no shade and it was cooler in the barn. But it cooled off outside and it was shady and cooler in the pen so that is where she is now with the kids with water and hay. I hope she starts eating though.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    one of those country differences again, we get the SQ over the counter, but a lot of things you guys can get otc we cant ... like simple a/b etc. I still think it would be worth it if I had to get it from the vet

sounds like she's picking up ... have you given her some probiotics?

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the jump start gel is basically a probiotic. I was talking to a local breeder on teh phone and read off the ingredients and she said "yup thats just like Probios" so yah I gave her some early this afternoon. I can give her more but I dont htink she needs it as she is ruminating fine

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Like I said earlier when we talked on the phone. I think the not eating is a buckskin thing. They seem to be more hormonal and take longer to recover from kidding.

And part of the reason CMPK is not available over the counter here is because too much potassium will kill, so if you were to give too much of it by accident then there would be an issue.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    woot! the hay I left for her was messed up and pulled out of the hay manger as well as some of it was gone. Then I gave her grain and she ate some then went back to her kids then went back to finnish it. When I moved her into the stall for the night i had put new hay down for bedding and she started to nibble on it.

She has been chewing her cudd too.

I think we are over the hump :leap: