Coats for yer goats????

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Trace, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Does anyone here rug their goats in the winter?

I was just wondering? I have a run in shed and a calf hutch in my goat paddock for shelter - and was just wondering.....

2. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I am in Florida where it doesnt really get cold like other places. But we can get into the 20's at times with a wind chill of colder. Especially at night and never the day. Last year I had one doe that would shiver. They had all the hay they could eat but she still shivered. So I went out and bought a dog sweater and covered it with a dog blanket and she didnt shiver after that. This year I bought some dog blankets that look like the horse blankets from Jeffers. They are great! Really good quality blankets that are ripstop. I think I paid around $10-$12 each as they were onsale. This is what I bought just incase I would need them. http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.a ... id=0027209

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I wouldn't put a blanket on them under normal circumstances...If one was ill or didn't grow enough undercoat to stay warm I would. I will put sweaters on newborn kids for the first couple days or so in cold temps.

It got down in the -20's F (around -40 with windchill) last winter and the goats were fine without blankets. I just make sure they have lots of clean, dry bedding to snuggle into.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would literally freeze and die in -20* weather!!! YIKES I can't wear enough sweaters and coats to get warm when it is 8*! LOL
    I blanket all of my newborn kids in the winter... they start with a heavy winter coat and then switch to a light day sheet their 2nd week by 2 weeks of age I make them rough it out with momma. :- )

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net