Cobalt/B Vitamins

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by pennylullabelle, Dec 26, 2009.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

So, I've searched "cobalt" on this site and reach every post pertaining. But I still have questions...

So far, and consider I have had goats a whopping 2 months, I have come up with a suitable schedule.

I'll feed a 2/3 grass 1/3 alfalfa hay, minerals, baking soda, and grain in moderate amounts only to goats why need it.

I'll also copper bolus twice a year, more often if needed. I'll give selenium/E twice a year plus one month prior to kidding and at birth.

I have chosen to vaccinate each year.

I'll worm only as needed, though I wormed everyone when they got here - just in case. I'll worm against cocci using a cattle/chicken grade wormer suitable for animals used in food production.

I'll also provide a calcium supplement, most likely in the form of CMPK or MFO. I have not yet decided on a schedule for this. I am certain I will provide it shortly before kidding to prevent milk fever.

I am still learning about propylene glycol and ketosis prevention.

So, now I am pecking out my vitamin B/cobalt supplementing. The best recommendation I have been given is to add brewer's yeast to my goats grain or minerals. Brewer's yeast is very high in B vitamins esp B12 and has a minimal amount of cobalt. However, since a goat synthesizes B12 using cobalt a cobalt deficiency is actually a B12 deficiency. Taking that into consideration a low dose of cobalt to keep levels in the liver ideal with a supplemented B12 dose sounds like a good idea for goats.

Does anyone else use brewer's yeast? How much? How did you learn about it? Downfalls? Benefits?

If you don't use brewer's yeast, what do you use and why? BoSe? How often?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Cocci is not a worm so wormers don't/won't work. For cocci you need a sulfa product, Sulmet, Albon, etc.

3. pennylullabelle

I know, Thank you :) I am sorry for the poorly phrased description. I am using Di-Methox although I am considering a mineral medicated with Rumensin.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Rumensin can not be used in lactating goats, so if you have any bred females you would have to keep every thing separate. I never did figure out if it only if your drinking the milk or not. All I know is the package and website says not to be used during lactation. Its also highly toxic to horses and dogs.
    http://www.sweetlix.com/media/documents ... _09-08.pdf

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ive never used cobalt or brewers yeast. It isnt something I have heard about much so I can weigh in on its usefulness.

What have you found are the signs of B12 deficiency?

as to the cocci medication -- no cocci medication should be used on animals you plant to milk for your consumption, but if the dam is feeding her kids its fine, I would be careful that you dont overdose the kids because they are already getting some from mom via the milk.

mariarose likes this.
  6. pennylullabelle

Stacy do you have any information on a withdrawal time on cocci treatments in lactating does? E.G. if I know it's say, 21 days, I won't give a cocci treatment to a doe whom I intend to use the milk from within 21 days unless it's NEEDED. I do not plan to give a cocci treatment unless I get worrisome numbers from consecutive fecals. I will always do fecals a short period apart because of the varying stage in parasite growth.

I have thus far chosen not to use rumensin because I have horses and dogs and worry for them.

Most common B deficiencies would be:
    B 1 - Polio
    B 12, anemia. More so b 12 is used to treat anemia.

A loss of appetite would be a tall tale sign that a rumen isn't functioning properly as a result of a lack of B vitamins which goats do not retain (they use just what they need for rumen function and expel the remainder in their urine). If a goat is low enough on B 1 brain swelling can occur so neurological signs can be an indicator of a deficiency. It's important to note that a goat cannot process B 12 without cobalt so both need to be provided in their diet.

Some symptoms of B 1 deficiency that I have not been able to confirm or deny as being actual B 1 deficient symptoms OR polio symptoms include loss of motor or mental activity due to dead cells, a rigid or bent neck that won't bend or straighten, loss of eye sight/focus. A lack of B vitamins can rarely cause blindness or sight problems in other animals including humans! The only symptom of B 12 deficiency is really starvation as a result of reduced rumen function from other illness, parasites, or true lack of B 12 and/or cobalt in their diet.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I treat cocci medication like I do wormer -- I throw out the milk for 4 days.