The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave my 1st cobalt Bolus today. Bottle says 1 capsule for a goat 50 pounds up. Every 3 years. Hope it does her some good. Thanks,

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Gave my 1st cobalt Bolus today. Bottle says 1 capsule for a goat 50 pounds up. Every 3 years. Hope it does her some good. Thanks,
I did not realize there was such a thing.:)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Redmond Rock (equine mineral salt) : 7 pound chunk of natural rock that has 13.2 mg/kg Iodine that might work for a supplement if kelp isn't being used. Not certain if this would supply enough Iodine, maybe someone else would know. Tractor Supply carries them.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Redmond Rock (equine mineral salt) : 7 pound chunk of natural rock that has 13.2 mg/kg Iodine that might work for a supplement if kelp isn't being used. Not certain if this would supply enough Iodine, maybe someone else would know. Tractor Supply carries them.
I can't find kelp locally.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will have to let us know if you think it will do anything for her.
To look at her you wouldn't believe she was having problems. Her coat looks good but her tail is a little fishy. Her eyes will scare you to death. Been giving redcell then replamin , minerals and a selenium block with copper and iodine. Eye famacha has been a 4 for 2 months now. She is the one the vet says it's CL (knots). She has triplets that will sale Saturday this week. I am trying to save her. The knots have not shedded any hair. In fact it is growing back where I shave it off. I am not convinced it CL. I have her isolated from the rest of the herd with her babies. I think she has weaned them as I never see them suck any more. They eat their pellets at feeding time.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I can't find kelp locally.
I can't find it locally either. Last time I ordered a 3 pound bag of kelp, the gosh darn "freight" charge was $14.00. I am discovering shipping and/or freight charges are over inflated. This expensive charges to get something sent are at times more cost than the item ordered.

Redmond Rock is the locally available source of iodine I use, a 7 lb chunk cost less than those kind of freight charges alone.

Trophy Rock, another source for minerals comes in a 12 lb chunk. I use that in addition to the Redmond Rock. Both of these of mined rock like chunks have become my replacement for kelp.

The goats also have Purina Wind and Rain loose minerals free choice.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My kelp is bought at a garden center. It's sold as organic fertilizer.
Walmart doesn't carry in in the store but you can have it shipped there. I wonder it Lowes garden center has it?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@TCOLVIN just a couple of things.

I used to use those boluses, because I could not get a regular cobalt block. I hated doing it because that company has multiple strikes against it because of animal abuse issues. Also, I could not feel safe trusting the instructions of only every 3 years, because their instructions for copper boluses were crazy inadequate. So I ended up giving once per year.

I no longer order kelp. I now offer several iodized salt licks instead.

Do you have a Redmond dealer near you? If so, you might like their cobalt block (or any of their salts, really) Here are some of their offerings. https://www.redmondagriculture.com/ Redmond is an amazing company.

Do you have a Southern States? They foolishly will not carry a cobalt block, but they do carry this salt that does have a good amount of cobalt, also organic iodine, and an awesome amount of zinc and copper
It is the loose form of this
https://www.doitbest.com/products/759243 Southern States has changed the website again and I can't find the exact product but I'll keep looking.

And of course, if you have a Do-It center, you could order the block mentioned above. The mineral levels are on the label. That block is one of the ones I now use. Wonderful block.

I haven't needed to order those boluses for a very long time now and I'm happy about that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Doesn't iodine absorb through the skin? I've read you can paint the hairless part of the goat's tail with it on a regular basis. That's got to be the cheapest way, and then you know they get it. I have an iodine based udder wash, and by rubbing it onto the udder every day, I imagine she's absorbing some like that too.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I can't imagine that works as efficiently or as simply or as cheaply as it going through the digestive tract in an iodized salt block...

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Redmond salt is a lovely salt. I give the “goat mineral” variety of it, however it’s truly just salt. Mine love it, sometimes they go days without eating it, especially if it’s moist, but on hot and dry days they really like it. I think the flavor and smell of it is slightly more intriguing than just plain salt.

·
TKC Farms
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@TCOLVIN just a couple of things.

I used to use those boluses, because I could not get a regular cobalt block. I hated doing it because that company has multiple strikes against it because of animal abuse issues. Also, I could not feel safe trusting the instructions of only every 3 years, because their instructions for copper boluses were crazy inadequate. So I ended up giving once per year.

I no longer order kelp. I now offer several iodized salt licks instead.

Do you have a Redmond dealer near you? If so, you might like their cobalt block (or any of their salts, really) Here are some of their offerings. https://www.redmondagriculture.com/ Redmond is an amazing company.

Do you have a Southern States? They foolishly will not carry a cobalt block, but they do carry this salt that does have a good amount of cobalt, also organic iodine, and an awesome amount of zinc and copper
It is the loose form of this
https://www.doitbest.com/products/759243 Southern States has changed the website again and I can't find the exact product but I'll keep looking.

And of course, if you have a Do-It center, you could order the block mentioned above. The mineral levels are on the label. That block is one of the ones I now use. Wonderful block.

I haven't needed to order those boluses for a very long time now and I'm happy about that.
I bought American Stockman blocks today. They have copper, cobalt iodine and other minerals. I also have started to soak the knots with iodine by filling an old pill bottle with iodine ang turning it up on the knot for a couple of minutes on each knot.
This may not help her, but it helps me. It's been over a month now and knots have not "headed". How long before CL heads? I am thinking it's not CL. My vet says it definitely is, and not to ever lance it because she has it contained. I don't know what to do but I'm doing something. I'll keep soaking them in iodine, and keeping her isolated a while longer. She doesn't like being by herself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts