Cocci and Scours

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Serenity Woods, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Serenity Woods

Serenity Woods Active Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Lady is not doing well. She is severely anemic, is losing weight, and her poops have been fluctuating from normal to pudding consistency. Tonight, her poop is more liquid than solid.

Although we have not had a fecal done on her recently, another of our goats just got results back showing high levels of both stomach worms and coccidia. Lady has been treated with Noromectin for the worms, and Corid for the cocci (did a 5 day course, which finished a couple of days ago). She has also been getting Red Cell and chlorophyll for anemia. And we gave her a B vitamin shot and probiotics today.

She eats alfalfa hay free choice, but today we took her out so she could have more access to good fresh browse. She has been listless all day, and as I said, tonight her poop is very liquid. She ate some leaves and grass, but not a lot.

I have some "TDN non-medicated scour gel" that I can give her. It is meant for calves, although I have seen it recommended for goats too. My question is, is this a good idea, or is it better to let her body expel whatever it's trying to get rid of? The scour gel has probiotics, kaolin clay, and vitamins. I just don't want to cause further problems if her body is trying to rid itself of toxins, and I should let it run its course.

Any advice?

2. Serenity Woods

Apr 2, 2012
    Went ahead and gave her CD anti toxin tonight, and a dose of Pepto Bismal. Offered her some home made electrolytes, but she wasn't much interested. She's eating hay, but not very enthusiastically.

BTW- she's a 1 year old mini Nubian.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would work on the rumen. Flat dark beer or rumen boluses.

4. Serenity Woods

Apr 2, 2012
    Karen- is that in addition to the probiotics she's had? I've been checking her tummy rumbles, and she sounds pretty normal.

I just came back from checking on her. She looks a little more alert, and there were no new poop puddles, so I'm a little bit encouraged.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I use instead of probiotics but you can use both.

6. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Active Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    I recently had two (6 month old) goats in that predicament. Here is the treatment my vet gave them and they recovered beautifully.
    4cc Red Cell oral
    4cc B Complex SQ
    3cc Levamisol oral
    3cc Valbazen oral

I repeated this 2 weeks later, and then again one month later.
    They made an excellent recovery.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    After all the meds given, her rumen should be repopulated with good gut flora.
    It will help her regulate her rumen. No grain while she is off or big feed increase or change.

I would get another fecal later, to see where she is at.

I like pig scour guard, it helps stop scouring quickly. Used 2x a day, double dosage on bottle and give it for 3 days.
    Will treat for other ailments in the gut.