The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, my microscope is a piece of poop. I am sure though, that I saw at least three cocci eggs in one doeling's stool sample before throwing in the towel on using that microscope. I know I didn't do a very thorough job with it, but I just couldn't win when it came to using that microscope. They had a dark edge, oval in shape, with white areas surrounding a cluster of smaller, light circles.

I will see about getting a stool sample to a vet. I was just checking them for worms and such, trying to learn how to do my own.

What are my options when it comes to treating coccidiosis in goats? I assume I should treat them all, right? The doelings are 5-6 months old, and the doe (who was bred a week ago) is still in milk.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I agree with Karen you can also order Baycox from horseprerace.com..

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am taking a fecal sample by a vet later to be tested. The doeling from whom I got that sample has slightly paler mucus membranes in the eyes than the other doeling and the milker. So much harder to look at that on a dark skinned goat. The doe is really easy to look at. I will try to get some pictures, sans camera flash, once my battery has charged.

I will see what they recommend based on the fecal testing. I know our local ranch and feed store didn't specifically have Sulmet.

If my goats need worming, I am guessing I should also worm my poultry too, since they free range frequently with the goats.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Coccidia is species specific. You shouldn't have to worm your chickens unless you are seeing that they have a problem.

Be careful of dosage that the vet gives you. Many vets give a too low dose.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This vet does deal in livestock, so hopefully the dosing will be correct.

And sorry, I meant if they find worms too in the sample in regards to the chickens. I knew about the cocci and species specific stuff. I just wasn't clear in my wording.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This vet does deal in livestock, so hopefully the dosing will be correct.

And sorry, I meant if they find worms too in the sample in regards to the chickens. I knew about the cocci and species specific stuff. I just wasn't clear in my wording.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Roundworms. Apparently a decent amount of them. I just did a tape measure on her, and she is about 23 1/2 inches, so 45-48 lbs. Nearly five months old. She is smaller than I thought. They gave me Panacur/Safeguard for all three goats. I forgot to measure the girls before I left, so I guessed they were 50, 60, and 125 lbs. They predosed it up in syringes for me. It was fairly liquid compared to most horse worming meds. The vet mentioned it would be the quad dosage since we are talking goats.

Ruby was slightly under what I guessed for her, and Tulip was 63 (Tulip is just a hair under a month older than Ruby). The littles just got dosed, and we will repeat it in about two weeks. I will dose Bree when it is time to milk tonight. I guess I will be getting milk for soap making the next few days, right? Since it is a worm, not coccidiosis, I guess chickens might need to be treated too.

I took pictures with my good camera and loaded them to my iPad, to show the vet their mucus membranes when we got the specimen read. Her techs were like, I don't know what she meant by pictures of their eyes, and she just told them I was talking FAMACHA.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question - am I measuring my doe appropriately? She is in the milk stand, head down, and the absolute tightest I can get it is 36 1/2. Which means 140-145 according to most charts. I am measuring right behind her front legs.

I am guessing I should wait until tomorrow to worm her, and get more wormer since what they gave me was for 125lbs (thinking I don't want to end up helping worms become resistant).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts