The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a show wether who is probably around 3-5 months. Got him for ffa from the lottery draw so no one knows exactly how old these guys are. 2 weeks ago he had scours, did a fecal and it was cocci. Treated with sulmet and scour halt. Dried up, he was all good. Came back with diarrhea yesterday. Started a corrid treatment. Gave more scour halt, temp was 101.4, eating & drinking great. Today, temp is 104, still has diarrhea. Started a corrid treatment. What could the temp mean though? We are going to do another fecal to recheck

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
temp is a bit high...101.5-103.5 is normal range. could be the stress of the runs...check for anemia as well..keep an eye on his temp check it a few times a day if he is acting fine other wise,,

are you doing a full five days of cocci treatment? With Corid, watch for signs of polio..keep fortified B complex or thaimine handy : )

A fecal is needed at this point to be sure you are treating the correct worm..
if the poop has a green tint then could be dietary runs as well, consider what he is eating and how much..
pepto willhelp sooth his tummy and dry his bum...but fiding the source is important
cd antitoxin if he is real runny or off feed

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
Corid does not kill the damaging stages of cocci. It only prevents the younger ones from turning into blood suckers. I would choose a different treatment as this one is not working well...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was 12.5% dose was 10 cc for 3 days. I'm getting all this info from the breeder I've been using for 5 years and she's been raising boers for over 30. Corrid works for us and has for several goats. I'm just wanting other opinions so I can see other options.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
In order for any med to work the dosing as well as length of time for treatment needs to be spot on.
First off,, you need to get an accurate weight for this kid, if you don't have a hanging scale or livestock scale, a bathroom scale will work. Have a helper who can hold the goat, have them stand on the scale and note their weight, get the goat in their arms and note the weight, subtract the persons weight from the combined weight to get the goats weight.
The 12.5% Sulmet is dosed undiluted straight from the bottle... 1cc per 5lbs on day one then 1cc per 10lbs for the next 4-7 days.
Pen G can be dosed at 1cc per 20lbs SQ 1x a day for 5 days if there is fever present along with the cocci infection/ Also... Give the B Complex after the sulmet treatment is done, Cocci thrive on thiamine, giving extra during treatment is feeding them.

Also, the fact that you have used Corid for years and have had it work but not this case could mean that the strain of coccidia this kid has is likely resistant to the amprolium med.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are treating corrid now. Just started 2 days ago. So I wouldn't say it hasn't worked. It's worked in the past on different goats.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
When a certain wormer is used often enough the strain of worms..in this case, cocci become resistant to the medication...a fecal will let you know if cocci is indeed what you are dealing with...so you can treat properly...it sounds like you are on top of this so its not an attack on your care or the experiance of your breeder...it just might be time for a change...consider Baycox if cocci is a reaccuring problem..it kill all stages of cocci...its only 1 cc per 5# one or twice 10 days apart...
ifyour fecal comes back clean then consider his diet...I dont raise meat goats but I believe the way they are fed fo show and so forth can be very taxing on some..what ever the cause for the runs, giving no feed until he is pooping berries is important..he cant digest it...treating the runs and inflamation is needed as you treat the cause... C D Antitoxin help rid the body of toxins while the rumen is off, Probios helps restore flora, Pepto or scour hault helps dry the bum, Banamine helps with the discomfort associated with cocci and reduces the inflammation cocci or heavy load of worms can cause.
Check for anemia...and treat is needed...
best wishes

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
If you are feeding grain stop, until better. No hot feed, treats ect. Give oat hay or equivalent, just a little bit 2 x a day, with some of his regular hay, but if it is hot feed, cut back a bit on it, No grazing on lush green pasture.

Get another fecal to see where your count is on cocci, also test for worms in case.

With Corid do 5 days, 1 x a day. I use it for cocci and it works good for me too. Usually after a couple of days though the scours are gone.

If his rumen is knocked off, after all the treatments, you will need to treat him, after corid treatment, giving Fortified vit B complex, give 3 to 6 cc's and probiotics for 4 days,at minimum, it helps to get his system back on track. One shot of vit b complex and probiotics is not going to help much for his issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts