cocci! one more question.....sorry!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, May 12, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....bare with me...I brought home a 12wk old 2weeks ago and vet did fecal and had me treat him with corid for cocci(he showed marginal numbers), then last week I brought home another 12 wk old and his fecal showed a large count for cocci so I have been treating him with corid(finished last dose yesterday).....so tonight I did fecals here at home and the first one is showing high numbers again, I didn't take a count because there were many......so what do I do now? My vet told me when I had the second little guys fecal done last week and his numbers were so high, to retreat both kids in 20 days......but I'm a little worried about waiting 2wks to retreat with the one guy having such high numbers. I am at a loss, any advice would be sooooo appreciated! Thanks, Denise

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Re: help with treating cocci!

bumping for help!

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I'm sorry ... I'm not familiar with your products so I'm not exactly sure on what to advise you to use ...

Hopefully RunAround or some of the others will get on here soon and be able to point you in the right direction :thumb:

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma

Usually when you actually have a case of cocci with diarrhea it's best to treat with a sulfa instead of corid, (that's more of a preventative). My drug of choice to treat is Albon. If it was me I'd go ahead and do a five day run of albon, and then just keep them on their schedule with corid.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I use Dimethox (which I do believe is a sulfa). I purchase it from Jeffers or Valley Vet. I get the powder and break it down to smaller amounts, mix with the appropriate amount of water and then you want to treat the entire herd at one time.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Aww Denise, sorry you are dealing with this once again :hug:

Here's the Di Methox powder breakdown
    1 1/4 teaspoons powder to 1 cup warm water
    Give 1cc per 5# for day 1 of treatment and then 1cc per 10# on days 2-5

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I am surprised that corrid didn't work? I use it and have excellent results....

May I ask ...what the dosage was ....how it was mixed or if it was pre-mixed.... and how many days given ?

Corrid......if it is mixed to weak or under dosed..... it will not work to it's full potential..... :hug:

I am sorry .....that you are having problems...... :hug:

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Sometimes you need to switch drugs around. The cocci around your place might be becoming resistant to Corrid. I usually use Albon or the generic Albon. If that dosen't work then I switch to Sulmet. I usually treat for 7 days to make sure I wiped all the little buggers out.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

the corid dosage is 1cc per 4lbs basically.

that is what I was given and that has worked (thanks Allison)

oh and I drench it straight out of the bottle no mixing with water

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Been really busy cleaning out pens throughly today! Talked to vet this morning, he had me start another round of Corid (5 days) on the 1st little guy, then in 20 days do a round on both guys......I have already started the Corid, but if I don't see some results with it, then I'm switching meds. The Corid work great with my older guys when I got them last year. The vet has me adding 3oz to a pint of water and drenching 3cc's for every 10lbs, which I was on the Corid website and that is the dosage they give. I asked about giving it undiluted.....my vet said no, that giving undiluted can damage the throat.....his exact words were "never do that!" :shrug: . He also had me p/u another Excede (antibiotic) injection for my little guy that has had a runny nose and cough since we picked him up...no fever at this point but still a slight cough and runny nose...I really think my newest guy is the one that has caused all this, which I just hate.....really wish I had walked away from buying him, but now we are attached to him.....he is such a sweetie. Good thing is they are both acting fine, eating and drinking.....Murphy's poop is normal, Bone's is a little clumped.....but he has had so many meds.
    well, duty calls.....dinner time in the barn! Thanks so much for all the help! Denise

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

you need to also give supportive theropy - Probios or yogurt

They need good stuff to support their rumen with all those meds in their system!!

I always give it undeluted and have had good results that way - yes they hate it but mine are all still alive ;)

I hate to say it but something you are doing isnt working...........might want to try somethign else

12. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma

I give my undiluted as well...and so far it seems to be working well.

13. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania

I think it's 7 days of Corid and then off for 2 weeks and repeat - I agree with Stacey's amounts - although I usually say 1cc/5 pounds.
    Do you have the powder or liquid Corid? I just bought some liquid from my vet and he has never said not to put it directly in their mouth.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Got the probiotics......so on Corid, if they are both about 20lbs.... then 4cc's for 5 days undiluted...right? If your goats haven't killed over from the Corid being undiluted, then mine should be ok too :thumb: ........I just want to knock this crud out asap!
    Thanks Guys! :greengrin:

15. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas

one thing with corid you can put in it their bottle with milk. If you use albon don't mix it with milk. We also use our corid undiluted.

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Ok....I was thinking if both kids have been getting the diluted amount of Corid and it isn't working.....would it hurt to just start today giving them both a 5 day round of undiluted? What about the thiamine issue? I am going to run fecals on both this morning and see what is going on.

Oh......How could I be sooooo ignorant :doh: :doh: :doh: !!!!! I did fecals on both little ones.....oh yes lots of cocci! So I went to get the original bottle out that my vet gave me a while back.....he told me the wrong dose! When my older guys had cocci when I first brought them home last August, the dose on the bottle was double what he told me this time! Brain fart on his part and mine! I am going to go ahead and dose them with the undiluted.....like DH said if it hasn't killed any of your goats, it won't kill ours!

Also, on the fecals.....I saw what I think is tape worm eggs, which I just wormed them with safeguard for 3days last week.......so what should I do now? I use Molly's Herbals with my older guys and I could do that with the younger, but with them already having so much stuff going on don't know what the best route would be.......any ideas?

I did give them some probiotic gel his morning....Bones poop is a little clumpy and soft, Murphy's is normal......Bones also just had an anitbiotic injection yesterday for cough and runny nose, which I really think he got shipping fever.....which the antibiotic that the vet gave is for that.......so mybe he did something right :hair: ! I have been dealing with another vet in the office this past week......my vet has not been available.

Ok.....very sorry soooo long, but will look foward to any advice from my online vets! Denise

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Bumping for advice?

18. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

EquiMax wormer for tapeworms

We use Di-Methox for cocci- and we dose 5cc's straight per day for 5 days.
    I believe it says to dilute on the bottle as well, but we never have diluted it.

19. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'd do that if I were you, the diluted dose probably really wasn't enough to do anything. So yes I'd do a undiluted 5 day round of it.

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Denise, I am wondering if even using the Corrid full strength now will help, it's possible that with giving it already diluted and for a course of treatent that the nasty bugs may be resistant? Try it undiluted and see how the fecals come back, if better then good if not then I would switch to a different sulpha such as the Di Methox or Sulmet.

As far as the tapeworms go I have quit using Safeguard or any febenazole as they have become resistant here, I wouldtry a different wormer for the tapes. You had mentioned earlier about seeing a skinny thread like worm on the behid of one of them.. tapeworms are flat and segmented, hairworms, pinworms and threadworms are skinny and thread like and white, much smaller than the tape.

Even though the fecals are coming back with some eggs in them, are your boys' lids pale or are they unthrifty? If not then I would get thecocci under control first.
    and after the course of treatment, wait 2 days and give them B-complex...it will replenish their supply and the meds hopefully will have erradicated the cocci and of course probiotics and alot of TLC will keep them happy. :hug: