Cocci prevention—no baycox—what do you use??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Buck Naked Boers, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Katey: Yeah I don't think they have powder on their website anymore, it wasn't there last time I looked. So I am just moving on and figure we will use something else from now on. Thanks for letting us know what your farm uses!

Jessica that is sorta funny....you took them off guard! Great idea! Yeah I am going to use something else this year for sure. Thanks for posting what you use on your farm.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I am going to call the vet and see what she recommends too.

2. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    Maybe your vet would sell you the number of doses of Baycox that you need instead of having to buy the whole bottle. (??) One of the vets that I use for our dogs (much closer than our goat-vet) won't see or treat the goats but, will sell me 'pharmaceuticals' for our goats if I know exactly what I need.

Just a thought. :)

3. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    Interesting. Why do you feel that way about Molly's Herbals..? Is it something to do with her ingredients/dosage rate/..? Or have you just not gotten the results that you expected..?

That said...I have used Molly's Herbals since we've gotten our does (bottle-babies) 3 years ago...also use it on the dogs and chickens. It has worked really well for our 'herd' and is the only thing I use for parasites. We have not had any POSITIVE fecals so far on anyone (dogs or goats) and they get checked regularly.

I have thought about switching to L.O.H. (have friends that use it with good results) but, why switch if what I am using works just fine..?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If what you use works for you, keep on! Everyone has a favorite way to do things and unless harmful or about to be fatal, what works for one may not have the same results for someone else.

I'm not a "herbal" person, but used to use Molly's pregnancy herb stuff. When my herd was smaller and each got an individual pan of grain, it worked great. The herd grew, now they get fed in a couple long troughs and it's a mixed herd with kids to adults. It's too much to use herbal stuff. But, at the time, I was impressed with Molly's and her tonics etc. helped my herd. (Her pain tonic is mostly alcohol, it has helped many goats, or maybe they were just drunk?!)

Anyway, if it works for you, don't change unless you really want to.

5. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Hmns:
    Baycox isn’t legal to use/approved to use in the USA. So my vet can’t do that.

Yeah I’ve thought about using herbals. I’ve used them before.

I think I have found powdered and liquid dimethox in another brand. It’s on back order from agri-labs. But vetone brand I see online. Need to check tho that it’s in stock for sure.

6. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Good advice goats rock. I agree. I have a small herd. So have thought about using herbals again.

I’m really not wanting to use corid yet. I see that as a ‘big gun’ med. and if I can’t get dimethox I may just start using the herbals first.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would avoid thinking of Corid as the big gun med because it is much less effective than most others IMO, it is hit or miss.

8. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Oh ok. Well for us it seems like a big gun cause we haven’t used it.
    Our herd is pretty natural. No medicated feeds. Only hay unless they are kidding or kids. And they are still fat! I don’t know how to slim down one of my does! She is fat and only eating pasture and hay. Lol

9. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I have always loved dimethox. It has been a lifesaver with severe cases we’ve had in the past. I hope you can get your hands on it!

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    My Eddie is like that!! He’s not build very “dairy” like his brother - he is a tank!!

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    CountyLineAcres:
    I have normally bought Agri-labs brand Di-Methox 12.5% in a gallon jug liquid. However I guess Agri-labs shut down for a while during covid. So it is out of stock everywhere! I don't need a gallon for just a few babies. So I am considering buying this:
    https://entirelypetspharmacy.com/vetone-sulfadimethoxine-antibacterial-powder-107gm.html

It is pretty cheap. I am on hold with the company to make sure they have it in stock. They also carry a gallon of the liquid:
    https://entirelypetspharmacy.com/ve...ted-solution-12-5-antibacterial-1-gallon.html

I am pretty sure this is the same product as Agri-Labs. But it is the VetOne brand.
    I may just buy the powder and mix it up since it makes a gallon. And use that this year. I am always a bit hesitant to use a new brand that I haven't used before. =) But this should work I would think? I haven't used powder and mixed it up before but think it should work just as good.

Well the guy is checking for me now to see if this stuff is in stock.

12. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I believe it should work! That’s great you found it! I don’t know the reputation of these websites; however, since they’re asking you for a prescription, it seems like a good thing.

13. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Yes this website it above board....ok. My vet's office told me about where I could get the dimethox so referred me to the website. I bought the liquid because that is what I have used before. I was glad I found some.

If anyone else needs cocci med......this is the place to get it. It seems all the other stuff is on backorder status everywhere.

14. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Moers....
    My vet ordered corid for us. But I forgot to see how jessica dosed it prior to her ordering it. Jessica uses the powder so....ugh now I’m not sure how to dose it.

You use the liquid which is what I have now.

My vet gave me these instructions, see below. Can you tell me if this is how you dose??

Pet vet:
    Corid 9.6%oral solution coccidiostat
    Dilute 3fl oz corid 9.6% oral solution to one pint (16oz) of water and with a dose syringe give 1 fl oz of this solution for each 100 lbs(45kg) body weight diluted with 1fl oz of water. This will provide the daily amprolium dose of approx 10 mg/kg (10mg per 2.2lb)bodyweight.

Then it states:
    Give by mouth once daily for 15 consecutive days for the treatment of e-Mac in alpacas.

I read that and thought HUH!!!? I don’t have alpacas!! LOL!

So what do you all think about this dosing??

Moers how do you dose the liquid? Is this the liquid you have?

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
    Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water.
    Then dose it the same as below.

20% Powdered mixture is cheaper mix at: 3 ounces(10.5 tblspns) to 1 quart water
    Mixed solution well. Shake well before each use.
    then dose at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    and so on
    treat individually for 5 days.

I do not put it in the drinking water, because I feel the goats will not get enough from it and it is being underdosed.

16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey there here is how I use Corid Screenshot_20200405-074010_Chrome.jpg

17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ok tothboergoats..jinx you owe me a coke... we posted at the same time:clever:

toth boer goats likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Toltrazuril. I found a site where they are selling it for much cheaper than the race horse place. It seems to work just as well.