cocci prevention?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Mar 27, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I was wondering if any of you do cocci prevention automatically in the spring on all goats or not? Like adding the powder to their water.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    By doing it that way ...you cannot dose each... with the correct dosage ...some may drink more than others.....if they do get it and they do not drink enough dosage ...the cocci will not ...be cured...it will be prolonged....

In my opinion ...I believe it is better to treat it... if it pops up....then treat individually with corrid or something that treats cocci,.... :wink:

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks TBG.....I was just wondering.....still trying to get all this goat stuff figured out :scratch: !

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is perfectly alright . :wink: ..maybe others can share there input to..... :greengrin:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like to treat individually. Its always better to do a full treatment as prevention isnt possible with most cocci meds. Just heard about a new one but before I premote it i plan to try it out and see how it works. I will let you all know after this year :thumb:

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey....you only treat though if they come down with it....right?

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I do cocci prevention with my kids until they are at least 6 months old. Adults, no...only if there was a case of it. In my opinion with kids it's way better to prevent than wait until they get it and treat. That's just my take on it though. :)

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well yah.

See I have been through this before! Ok with cocci you cant prevent it. It isnt like a vaccine. The meds are in their system to ward off the cocci for only as long as you give it. So if you are going to give them say Sulmet or Corid you want to give them the full treatment dose. Now if you have a feed with cocci meds in it you are basically treating them for the duration till you take them off the feed.

Once the meds are out of their system thats that - prevention is over. But you did do the job of ridding the body of the cocci, you jsut have to be on the look out to make sure it doesnt come back. Long periods of wetness are prime time for a cocci out break.

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    From what I've learned, cocci has a 21 day life cycle. So I do a 5 day run of prevention meds every 20 days. Last year I used Albon for the Boer kids, this year I plan on using Corid. My kids grew out SO much better last year than they did the year before with no prevention just treating clinical cases, I ended up with stunted kids that just didn't grow well. Dairy kids get Deccox M powder in their milk once daily. This is just what works for me though. :)

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah so you are treating the whole time - right? which makes perfect sense. I just dont want people to think that since they gave X amount of meds the goats are now immune to cocci or wont get it for X amoutn of time. Its something you have to be on top of for a set amount of days

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Here is a good artical on cocci itself....
    http://www.goatworld.com/articles/cocci ... osis.shtml
    I always do cocci prevention in kids. Having bottle raised kids this makes it much easier, i put a few drops in the milk every other day from on to 16 weeks. Bucks only to 10 weeks as thats when they get weaned.
    Adult does get treated at least once a year, usually right after kidding in march or april, and once during the summer, as this is show season (and another high stress situation.
    beth

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you Beth....that was a great article and explained a lot! I only have 2 wethers, but I am bringing a new young one on to the farm the end of April.....I do plan on keeping him in a seperate pen at first.