The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a baby goat that was born June 20th. We have had lots of rain (2 weeks worth), mud and heat which I know cocci thrive in. I was wandering what everyone's preventative cocci treatment is for kids. Also if you treat kids preventatively do you also treat the others (we have an adult mother and 4 month old doe). Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the same question! My babies are coming up on 3 weeks, and I know that is when cocci prevention begins. If I use Baycox, how much do I give them, and do I repeat just once?

Is this just to get them through until they are a bit older, and then cocci treatment would be only if there is actually a cocci problem? In other words, do the adults get preventative treatment every year?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I have used 12.5% DiMethox as a preventative on kids the last 6 years and start with individual doses at 3 weeks old. 1.5cc 2x a day for 7 days then 1.5cc once a week until weaned

I still had one kid this year with an overload even on prevention... I had to treat her with 12.5 % Sulmet as the DM was not working.

Best prevention though is keeping hay and feed pans up off the floor, cleaning the feed pans between uses and just watching kids for sign of issues.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I like Baycox...one dose at about 3 weeks old ...if they have cocci you do a second dose 10 days later..1 cc per 5#..

Adult goats can get cocci....they usually have a resistance to cocci ..if you have a goat with diarrah or unthriftiness then a fecal would be in order to check for worms and cocci..

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hmm, I am now wondering: do you have to do a second round of treatment with all coccidiosis medications? I did not hear that, and when I used Corid, I just did the five day treatment. Should I have done another? Please tell me I didn't mess it up. :rolleyes: I feel like a doofus sometimes. :)

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
some do it as a prevention..others do as needed...if your fecals come back clean no need to retreat...;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you purchase the products? Can the be bought at TSC?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
TSC carries Dimethox i believe...bovine supply stores usually have sulmet ..Baycox is ordered from horseprerace.com

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
If you have to order anyway...Baycox is a better choice..: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts