cocci preventive?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Apr 30, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My 12wk old dwarf nigerian is being treated 5 days with corid per vet because his cocci numbers were marginal......I have heard that kids should be on preventive until 8 months......so, my question is what should I use and what dosage? Is medicated grain enough and how much grain should a 12 wk old wether (19lbs) being getting a day?
    Thanks, Denise

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Usually the medicated grain is not enough until they are a lot older and eating much more of it. I'd just use the corid for preventative, that's what I'm using this year. You do a 5 day run of it every 20 days, dosed at 6.25cc per 25 pounds, not diluted.

3. Candy

Candy New Member

What would be the dose of Solmet? When do first give it to the kids?
    Candy :sun:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW 8 months? I would think that the Cocci would become immune to the treatment.

I guess that is the good thing about having my babies in Jan, for 9 years I have never had a baby have a problem with Cocci.

5. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I don't think it is good to treat for cocci unless they have it. ( this would be the second time he is being treated, my whole herd was done about 3weeks ago) But vets rule. :cool:
    So I guess what I'm trying to say is do what the vet says. :wink:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Im with Jenna - I dont like treating for something unless they have it.

I only treat mine as needed.

But your vet seems very helpful so I would follow his advise as he may know something about your area that we dont.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I totally agree with not treating unless need be......I think my vet was concerned because his numbers were on the high end and with the stress of moving to new home, he didn't want it to get out of hand.
    On the whole issue of preventive, I just don't understand the whole issue of giving them something for 8 months because they might get cocci, if you are doing regular fecals wouldn't you catch it?

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree. I have never treated babies just because they are a certain age or because someone said I should. If even I am questioning them I do a fecal float.

9. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Breeders raise them on prevention so they don't deal with the problems Coccidia will cause down the road. After having an experience of raising kids that had coccidia, I'll never want to deal with that stuff again. Always will be prevention here.