The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How probable is it that one of my males keeps getting cocci? I have gone through it with him two or three times now. Fecals have shown a high load of cocci and barber pole in the past. I wormed with ivomec the first time and cydectin the second time. Treated both times with Corid. The scours just keep coming back after clearing up for a week or two. Is it possible that he is getting reinfected with it or a missed diagnosis?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
If you keep him in the same pen..he could. Are you doing the Corid for 5 days? Are you weighing him to get the accurate doseage of corid? After the 5 day session did you give him b complex? When did you worm.him for the barberpole worm?
If you can afford the herbals & oils. Thats the biggest draw back. I have over 20 head. Cant afford the herbal stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you keep him in the same pen..he could. Are you doing the Corid for 5 days? Are you weighing him to get the accurate doseage of corid? After the 5 day session did you give him b complex? When did you worm.him for the barberpole worm?
If you can afford the herbals & oils. Thats the biggest draw back. I have over 20 head. Cant afford the herbal stuff.
He weighs between 25-30 pounds and was given 7ml of Corid per day for 5 days. I gave him the wormer on the first day of the Corid and again 10 days later. He was given iron injections to help get his blood count back up which is still low. His eye lids are still pale white. How long does it normally take for blood levels to get back to normal?

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
He weighs between 25-30 pounds and was given 7ml of Corid per day for 5 days. I gave him the wormer on the first day of the Corid and again 10 days later. He was given iron injections to help get his blood count back up which is still low. His eye lids are still pale white. How long does it normally take for blood levels to get back to normal?
What % is your corid? There are different strengths. The 20% mixed correctly is 7.5ml per 25 lbs... so you are underdosing just a tad if they are 30lbs. Redo a fecal ten days after treatment. If needed retreat.

But since you have retreated i would go to tolturazil. It is usually a one dose and done but with high loads i always do twice ten days apart and then redo the fecal ten days after that.

You can do red cell.... 6ml/100lbs for six days then once a week after that. If at any time the famacha improves stop the red cell. A d just keep a good watch on it.

It does take a bit for them to make new rbc from anermia when they are pale.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree with [mention]Sfgwife [/mention] about switching treatment.

You've gotten good advice on treating for coccidia but you also need to think about why this keeps happening. Is there anything about his pen/environment that needs to change?

Is there more you could be doing to boost his immune system? Once his system is depressed he's at much higher risk of reinfection. Supportive care is really important.

Is his stress level high? Is he being bullied or kicked off food? Any big changes in his general goat life/routine/feed?

There's a lot to consider when it comes to prevention too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with [mention]Sfgwife [/mention] about switching treatment.

You've gotten good advice on treating for coccidia but you also need to think about why this keeps happening. Is there anything about his pen/environment that needs to change?

Is there more you could be doing to boost his immune system? Once his system is depressed he's at much higher risk of reinfection. Supportive care is really important.

Is his stress level high? Is he being bullied or kicked off food? Any big changes in his general goat life/routine/feed?

There's a lot to consider when it comes to prevention too.
I was wrong on the Corid dose he was given. It was 7.5ml. I realized that after looking at the dosing guide I go by. He shares a pen with two other dwarfs that haven't show any signs of cocci since I have had them which is over a year.

When I got this one in July, he was still intact and very skittish. I banded him and worked on getting him used to people. He has just recently gotten to where we can touch him though he is still not what I would consider to be relaxed and social.

He just doesn't seem healthy. His coat is always dull and dry, his horns are brittle and flaky and bottle jaw is almost always there. He has free access to manna minerals daily, gets alfalfa hay daily. I know it's something that I'm not doing right. I just don't know what it is.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree with trying a different treatment if his fecals keep showing cocci. Did his fecals show barber pole worms or anything else?

You might also want to switch up minerals if he’s not eating them or try replamin plus. What is his famacha score? He might need iron too if he is showing bottle jaw. If there are other parasites, then worming for the parasites in the fecal is needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with trying a different treatment if his fecals keep showing cocci. Did his fecals show barber pole worms or anything else?

You might also want to switch up minerals if he's not eating them or try replamin plus. What is his famacha score? He might need iron too if he is showing bottle jaw. If there are other parasites, then worming for the parasites in the fecal is needed.
He showed barber pole and cocci in his last fecal. He was treated with cydectin and Corid on the last bout. This was probably two months ago. I've given him red cell drench as well as iron injections. His famacha is as bad as it gets. Zero pink in his eye lids at all as of right now. The scours went away after the cydectin and Corid treatment. Now he is right back to where he started. This will be the third time going through this with him since July. I used cydectin as a last resort since he had barber pole in his second fecal. How often can he have an iron injection? Would the injection be more effective than a daily red cell drench?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Dimethox (sulfa drug) injectable given orally is another effective treatment for coccidia. Would also boost his immune system with daily garlic and keeping pens clean helps like, keep hay and feed etc off the ground helps. Raking the pen helps.

Grab valbazen to treat other parasites and dose at 1 cc per 10 pounds.

Injectable Iron is once daily for a week then weekly until you see color improved. Good high protien foods and browse..B12 all helps rebuild red blood cells.

Tummy tamer can help a ton with parasites as well and healing the gut.
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses
Add Clove
To enough water to drench. Usually 20-30 cc
Give 2-3 times a day until improved then go once daily for a week longer.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Has he been to a vet? It sounds like it’s more than just worms and cocci keeping him down. If he remains anemic he really needs a blood transfusion. Have you checked to see if he has lice too, that can effect the outcome as well. When my Thalia was anemic I used valbazen and cydectin together as well as vitamin b complex injections daily I also gave her copper and a high protein diet. My vet has a different Red Cell regiment it’s 1cc per 10 lbs daily for a week then twice a week for two weeks then once a week until pink. It worked for me.
I’d really get a vet involved at this point though.
I hope he responds to A treatment soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has he been to a vet? It sounds like it's more than just worms and cocci keeping him down. If he remains anemic he really needs a blood transfusion. Have you checked to see if he has lice too, that can effect the outcome as well. When my Thalia was anemic I used valbazen and cydectin together as well as vitamin b complex injections daily I also gave her copper and a high protein diet. My vet has a different Red Cell regiment it's 1cc per 10 lbs daily for a week then twice a week for two weeks then once a week until pink. It worked for me.
I'd really get a vet involved at this point though.
I hope he responds to A treatment soon.
I have not taken him to the vet since this new bout of scours started a few days ago. If I don't see a change in him by this weekend I am going to take him in.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree with the above. He probably needs a series of worming along with the blood transfusion/iron shots. If he’s as bad as he sounds, I’d go ahead and call the vet if possible. He probably has very low reserves.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I agree with the above. He probably needs a series of worming along with the blood transfusion/iron shots. If he's as bad as he sounds, I'd go ahead and call the vet if possible. He probably has very low reserves.
Not all goats that are very pale need an infusion. I have a wether and had his dam.. both of them to look at their famacha would be way dead by now. It is just the norm for some.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts