Cocci treatment in lacting does?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by pennylullabelle, Nov 27, 2009.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I know there are no approved Cocci treatment for lactating does, but how do you prevent Cocci when you want to use the milk?

Do you just treat during dry times/when kids are using all the milk?

What kind of delay should occur during a treatment and using the milk for human consumption?

Can/should pregnant does be treated with a preventative Cocci product like deccox or rumensin?

I want to purchase rumensin because the research I've done has suggested deccox is not as affective on rumens then is rumensin. But I want to know what is safe for the milk since we will be drinking it after the kids are weaned...thanks so much in advance!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use Di Methox as a prevention for my does starting at 1 month before delivery, since I start milking at 3 weeks after delivery, I then put the kids on the same med til they leave, with instruction to the owners to continue if they wish. I do an individual dose per doe and kid as this way I know thay are getting the correct amount for their weight, the mass feeding of a coccidistat is not for me as not everyone gets grain.

3. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I haven't been able to find any info on Di Methox being used for goats for Cocci, just other things like foot rot. Do you know where I could find some more info on using it for Cocci prevention? How long do you wait before ingesting milk from your does and their last dosage? Thanks so much

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cocci treatment meds:
    Albon
    DiMethox - the generic of Albon (RX)
    Sulmet
    Corid
    Baycox