Cocci

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Jul 8, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ive heard of it,but what is it?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    It's an organism (worm?) in goats. I think it's mostly a problem for young goats. Can cause massive damage in the gut and intestines if unchecked. You have to treat them pretty quickly if you have it.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  4. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I was wondering because I wasnt sure i it was normal for my Lamancha and Nubian/Alpine cross to be the same size when there's 2 months age difference between them,and someone told me that it might be cocci. :?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well some goats are spirters and some are continual growers. It depends on the lines they come from

If you are worried about cocci then you can have a fecal done to check for it. IF she was stunted because of cocci when younger she will eventually even out in size as her body catches up.

unless she looks to skinny or has a rough coat then she more then likely is fine.

6. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah,I think the LM is a spirter,then the cross is very steadily getting big. lol Yeah I wouldve been worried about before I got her,because she was in a very dirty area,and had never been outside until I got her,although she was raised on cae/cl prevention,I dont remember if she was raised on cocci prevention. She is a little thinner than Id like to see,but I dont think shes really underweight. Im getting pics of her in a bit to add to my post about clipping the goats,so you could let me know what you think.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

a lot of it depends on the lines too, some grow faster then others i have a slower to mature line that i usually have to wait to breed until they are nearly two years.
    I had a goat friend over yesturday, i asked her if she though my kids looked small for their age (i think they do) But she thought they were huge, twice the size of her kids of the same age. even made a funny out of it, she asked what i was feeding miracal doe?
    beth