cocci

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, Aug 5, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    you know I dont actually know how to pronounce cocci anyway.
    I think coccidiosis is "cock-sid-ee-osis" but I have no idea how to pronounce cocci.

But that's by the way.

The lambs have it. in FORCE. In that I've wormed them like CRAZY and they're scouring and straining and getting thin - not ALL of them mind. just a chunk of them.

Spent an awful lot of money this morning at the vets picking up preventative treatment for them all and an injectable treatment to hopefully cure the ones that have it.

What is kind of scary is that Mocha just started scouring and Im freaking that she has it too :hair: so I gave her and Java both a shot of the meds plus the preventative stuff. THe preventative stuff is vecoxin and the injection is some sulpha thing forget the name.

Mocha SCREAMED like a banshee when I injected her and threw herself to the ground and continued screaming and screaming for at least a minute afterwards!!! Java was fine. But Mocha really freaked me out. And then she stood trembling for like 5 minutes in the corner without moving. Like dude. It was an injection. 2.5 mls. That's ALL :hair:

i hope this stuff cures them >.<

LW

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I pronounce it cock-see

man, I feel your pain. I had it run through my kiddos last year, even with medicated feed and treating them they STILL didnt respond. They looked awful and in the end I just had to let it run its course :sigh: Most of mine didnt get too bad, just looked thin, rough coated, one or two had the scours. Only two got very bad that I thought I might lose them - one prolapsed his rectum, I had him on injectable trimethoprim and sulfadiazine, which I dont think really helped him much, luckily it ran its course and he recovered, looked terrible for a long time. The other one never scoured but just got sooooooo thin and so weak. I ended up giving him subcutaneous glucose injections for about a week until he got a bit stronger.

Crossing my fingers for ya that they will recover; my little guy did the same thing as mocha, :shocked: made me feel so bad!

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Oh I hate Cocci!! Hope they all get well!!! :pray: :pray:

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Here we pronounce it like "cock's eye"

I hope whatever you gave them helps and they feel better soon. Cocci sure is nasty when it gets out of control...Poor little lambies and goaties :(

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh, i'm so sorry. Cocci can be so terrible! Especially going through the treatment process! When you gave Mocha the invection did you possibly hit a vein? I know with horses if you inject whatever you inject into the vein they can go totally nuts for about a minute...just freaking out. Never had it happen, but have heard of it happening several times with other people's horses. I don't know if it's the same for goats?

6. Here we say it like cocky. You know when you were a kid and had to go cocky/Hocky.

Once you go though it once you are ok. All goats have the bacteria, well parisite really, it is just the overload that causes cocci. Stress from moving and so on can do it. Now I treat my herd once a year just to be safe. But it is a part of having goats. Almost everyone has seen it or will in their goat breeding lives.

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Especially annoying as I did quarantine the new ewes for a few weeks after they arrived - however they didn't exhibit any signs of cocci! And having read up more about it it seems that the adult sheep are just the carriers... and the lambs that get the disease.

:hair:

Yet another thing to dose for every year!!! I dont suppose it'll ever be possible to eradicate it now.

LW

8. I get the stuff you put in their feed and feed it for 5 days it works fine and is not hard to do at all.

9. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Stubborn cases can take three courses to kick it out. During long stretches of wet conditions especially.

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    long stretches of wet? HA are you kidding me? I live in Ireland! My life is one long stretch of wet!!!!!!!!!

LW

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :ROFL:

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    *sulks* s'not funny!
    LW :sigh:

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    y'wanna swap? I'll have your wet conditions, you can have my scabby mouth?

14. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    yeah ok if I can have it on my finger again i don't mind :greengrin: hahaha

was praising the fact that I'd had it actually, the other day, when I was rubbing petrol on to a lamb's gums. While thinking "I can't catch this any more wheeeeeeeeeeeeee"

I tell y'all

go find an animal with orf/scabby mouth , cut your finger and CATCH IT :ROFL:

LW

PS dont do a Keren and kiss it though :roll:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    correction ... dont bite your nails! lol

16. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Sulpamidine powder - in the water, squirt it down the throats if you have to, for a couple of days. Works- Comes in a yellow sachet. Called Sulpha No.2 powder. Can be mixed with milk or water. 1g per 10kg bodyweight for 5-7 days. That vecoxin is VERY expensive at 120 euros a bottle. Had a little guy - I didn't get in time, but the other one oddball - did and it worked.

17. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    where do you get the powder from, Bridget?

LW

18. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    I got it at the vet here - I can post an envelope down tomorrow with a packet in it? PM me the address.

19. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    actually if you still have the number -text it to me - and I will post it down to you tomorrow. I don't always get to the computer. John is expecting his college thing tomorrow.

20. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    hey Bridget that would be cool, thanks a bunch! are you sure though???

LW