The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have three Weathers who will be headed to their new home in a few weeks. They are seven weeks old and besides a touch of pneumonia early on, are healthy, happy kids. They are still getting access to their mothers for milk for about 3-5 hours a day currently, but are eating feed, hay and forage and drinking water on their own with no problems.

My question is should I start them on coccida preventative? I have read that using medicated feed doesn鈥檛 give them enough to be effective and also to build up a resistance to coccida. Have people had success with medicated feed? Is there a different preventative that I can use? I want to set them up for success at their new place! Picture included just because 馃槉

Super Moderator
Medicated feed is no guarantee they are protected. The smaller area they have to run play and graze with mom is higher risk for coccidia. I would do prevention especially before moving them to new homes. Stress alone can cause a bloom. I prefer toltrazuril for prevention but Dimethox injectable given orally is a good OTC choice too. You may also find it under the name SulfaDrug. Most can only find corid. If you use corid, follow the I structures listed in the med dosing file here. Must be diluted and dose correctly and individually.

Good luck. Boys are adorable

TKC Farms
Medicated feed is no guarantee they are protected. The smaller area they have to run play and graze with mom is higher risk for coccidia. I would do prevention especially before moving them to new homes. Stress alone can cause a bloom. I prefer toltrazuril for prevention but Dimethox injectable given orally is a good OTC choice too. You may also find it under the name SulfaDrug. Most can only find corid. If you use corid, follow the I structures listed in the med dosing file here. Must be diluted and dose correctly and individually.

Good luck. Boys are adorable
At what age would you give Toltrazuril or even Corrid?

Reactions: McGoat

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I treated them w 5 cc each of diluted corid mix today. Planning to continue for the next five days for preventative treatment. Is this an ok plan? I鈥檓 in a Facebook goat group that is suggesting corid is bad and will cause goat polio if not dosed correctly?? Starting to get worried! Thanks everyone for your advice! I want to make sure the babies are in the best shape they can be before they leave.

Premium Member
We use tolturazil here because last year corid was not working. It is SO much easier to dose them. ;). One dose every three weeks and done... unless someone has a high load then one more ten days after the first. But i would send in a fecal before dosing and them ten days later. To make sure whatever you choose is working for them. The preventative really does not help them work up any kind of resistance to cocci. It keeps the load very minimal until at 6-9 months their bodies figure out how to deal with it on their own.

Why do they only have access to their dams for 3-4 hours a day at seven weeks old? If you are milking.... separate at night and let them stay on their dams all day. Even though they are eating and drinking ok on their own they still need the majority of their nutrition to come from their dam鈥檚 milk.

Registered
Why do they only have access to their dams for 3-4 hours a day at seven weeks old? If you are milking.... separate at night and let them stay on their dams all day. Even though they are eating and drinking ok on their own they still need the majority of their nutrition to come from their dam鈥檚 milk.
Yes I was wondering the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts