Coccidia & anemia

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by laurelsh, Jan 12, 2021.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Hi goat friends!
    My 2 year old Pearl has coccidia 3750 egg count on fecal, and on checking her eyelid FAMACHA style (I'm not certified) it looks like a #2, meaning anemia. She is nursing a 6-wk-old kid. They both look and act very healthy. I have given her Baycox (Toltrazuril) and will also do an herb treatment on her. Do I need to address the anemia, and what is the best/easiest way? Red Cell? B12 injection? Iron injection?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd give her a B Complex shot but Redcell is what I would use for anemia. 6cc per 100 lbs.

3. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    How often do you give Red Cell?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

Once a day for a week. Then once a week until normal.

5. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    The red cell is helpful, but in my experience the injectable iron works much faster and since she is nursing, I wouldn’t want to chance it. Typically I give a shot of vitamin b complex along with the iron shot.

6. ksalvagno

There is a higher risk of adverse reaction with the iron shot. So if you choose to give it, have Benadryl right there to give immediately upon reaction.

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thank you, I saw that reaction possibility with iron injection, so I'm not too keen on doing it. I thought I would have to have epinephrine on hand as a shot to counteract reactions, in what form/dose would Benadryl be adequate?

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Epinephrine is best (1 ccper 100#) but Benadryl is close second. I like liquid for easy dosing. At least 20 cc and keep the bottle handy ;)

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. laurelsh

Jun 26, 2013
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    thanks! I have Children's Liquid Benadryl, 12.5 mg/5 ml. Would it be 20 cc of that to any size goat? Or is there a per weight dose?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    happybleats likes this.