The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started noticing some scours in the goat pen a few days ago. After inspecting all the goats I still couldn’t figure out which one it was. Well today I saw my big girl Biscuit scouring and knew it was her. But then I saw one of her kids, 8 weeks old, also scouring and over all not as active as the others. I have a big feeling that it’s coccidia. What is the best medicine for it?
I have some Corid and the kids have been dosed with it for five days every three weeks as a preventative. What other cocci meds are there? And what else can I do?

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Im see ing some scours as well as we have had a ton of rain and grasses are over taking the goats area. What color poops are you dealing with? I hate to treat for coccidia and further compromise the rumen unecessassarly. A fecal is best but we all know that is not always possible.
other coccidia treatments besides Corid are
Dimethox injectable ( also sold as Sulfa Drug) given orally for 5 days
Vets carry Albon, name brand for Dimethox, 5 day treatment
Toltrazuril ( order off line only) given 1 time preventive, booster in 10 days if treating, Vets offer Marquis, which is basically same medication, pricey but effective.
There are also herbal choices and essential oil choices.
Today I would start with probiotics, B complex shot and Tummy Tamer to help slow the scours and address parasites until you can get what you decide on
Tummy Tamer is
1 teaspoon each
cayenne pepper
ginger
cinnamon
slippery elm
clove
ACV
molasses
20-30 cc water ..mix well and blend in 1-2 garlic cloves 3-4 times a day.

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Yes you can omit slippery elm until you can get some. In a pinch, most pharmacies carry it in capsule form...

Poop is pretty black which means could be parasites. Not quite scours but maybe heading that direction.

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok good news and bad news. The good news is that the I gave the doe vitamin B complex and got to watch her poop. It has gotten harder and is clumpy balls now. I also took her temp and it was 102.6*F.
The bad news is that the kid also got Vit B complex and got her temp taken, it was 105*F. She got a shot of Banamine. It’s Saturday afternoon. So no vet visit until Monday morning. Her FAMACHA is not white, but it is pale pink.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
With babies temp and her not as active as the others, I would start antibiotics. 105 is pretty high...do you have any antibiotics at home? Or are you able to grab some at a local farm store? Tylan 200 or even penicillin?
Bananine I'd a good call..that will help temp come down and her feel better. But if there is pneumonia there..we need to address it.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do have a brand new bottle of Penicillin. I lost a baby to Pneumonia last year and come to think of it was strikingly similar to this. What is the dosage for the Penicillin G, Pro-Pen-G? She weighs 25 lbs. and SQ or IM?

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
So glad you started antibiotics.. kids do go down fast. Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She is still eating and drinking. She got her second shot of antibiotics this morning along with another B complex shot and banamine. Her poops have turned more liquid and yellowish color.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Better news: her poop has gotten a little more solid. And it looks normal color again.
So I read on another really old thread that this is sorta normal but, after I gave her the shot of Penicillin she started staggering around and acting loopy. She fell down and couldnt seem to get to her feet. I rubbed the injection site for a few minutes and she seemed to be doing better and nursed. I left her after that but from what I read is that that’s happened to people after IM shots in the neck. What caused that? I want to be sure it doesn’t happen again.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I gave baby her antibiotic and b complex. I decided to take her temp before giving any more banamine. I’m glad I did! Either there’s something wrong with my thermometer or she’s not doing good because her temp was so low it wouldn’t register on the thermometer! It just kept saying “Low”. Definitely NO banamine for her!! Help!

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Check another's goats temp for reference asap..then recheck babies

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Phew!! Sorry guys! False alarm!! My thermometer was broken. I used another one and got 103.2*F. She nursed and ate feed this morning and is now browsing in the pasture. Huge improvement, considering she was just laying around and having scours on Saturday. Her poop has also gotten harder today also. Not completely hard yet but getting better. And she was jumping and playing today too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts