The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran out of what I had left of my last gallon of Di-Methox 12.5% Sulfadimethoxine which is what I’ve always used for coccidia prevention treatment. I am in California, and there’s very little options of OTC treatments. I could get it from my vet, however he is closed right now with the pandemic going on, plus his cost is much higher than OTC. What do you all use for OTC coccidia prevention treatment in kids?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Oh boy ... You are going to be wishing SO hard that you had another bottle of Di-Methox. Most coccidia meds are "sulfa" meds and the prices are SKY HIGH this year and also hard to come by.

I use 5% Toltrazuril from horseprerace.com , it's a little black market to be honest, but its a one day treatment rather than 5 days. 1mL per 5 lbs.

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
I too like toltrazuril. Corid is the only other option for otc.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I use Corrid liquid. I buy it at Tractor Supply
Add 6 TBS to 16 oz of water. I weigh my little ones and give them the proper dosage. No problems so far. Yes its as pain to do 5 days straight. But I feed everyday..so I just add that to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, SalteyLove, I AM wishing I had more Di-Methox!! I knew it was going to be unavailable in California soon, but figured I’d have it shipped to my relatives in Montana or Oregon, however I wasn’t expecting it to be unavailable in the whole US Oh well, can’t go back now.

I don’t mind multiple day treatment if need be, but single dose would definitely be easier. With the toltrazuril, is it a one time or repeat again in a few weeks?

What’s the dosage on the Corrid? I heard that you also need to give B-12 with the Corrid. Was I hearing that correctly? And is it a one time or repeat again in a few weeks?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
With the Corid..its 5 days straight. And then B12 a week later.
Dosage 30 cc per 100 lbs
15cc per. 50 lbs
7.5 cc per 25 lbs.

·
14,760 Posts
We use Sulfadimethoxine, and had to get a new bottle back in Feb. It was very hard for the clinic to find a gallon! I normally pay $55 a gallon, but the cheapest she could find was around $73. A friend newer to goats needed some and vet was writing a script, so I recommended the pharmacy I use, and I ended up calling the pharmacist since I knew what to look for and she said she searched all their outlets and found '1' gallon for my friend.
I don't know if it's gotten any better? I know there were places that had some of the powder packets available, but again that was in Feb.

I don't know if Toltazuril is affected in the same way. I am pretty sure my friend (a vet) told me that Ponazuril (Marquis) was affected as well and very hard to come by.
Ponazuril is a major treatment for horses who have EPM, so my friend was concerned about what equine clinics/vets were doing to treat horses who have EPM.
Crazy and scary :(

So really, the only OTC option is CoRid. We use it randomly. For stubborn cases we had a couple of years ago we actually used Sulfadimethoxine & CoRid at the same time - even the vets recommended that.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
All coccidia preventions (whether one day or 5 day types) are typically repeated 3 weeks later. In my herd, my kids are on a grower pellet that contains coccidiastat, so I give the first round of Toltrazuril at 3-4 weeks, then 6-7 weeks, then I assume the feed has them covered. Sometimes if weaning is particularly stressful I will do one more time but it's really not at all approved or recommend for meat animals so only for breeding stock at that age to allow a very long withdrawal period.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. I don’t understand why they’re making it so hard for the people who use these meds correctly to get them. It’s so frustrating that they hand out needless to drug addicts on the streets (at least here in California they do) yet people who need medication for their animals can’t get it. I often wonder how big cattle ranchers or anyone with a big herd can stay afloat. If I were smarter and younger I’d go back to school to become a vet just to write prescriptions and help people with animals

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All coccidia preventions (whether one day or 5 day types) are typically repeated 3 weeks later. In my herd, my kids are on a grower pellet that contains coccidiastat, so I give the first round of Toltrazuril at 3-4 weeks, then 6-7 weeks, then I assume the feed has them covered. Sometimes if weaning is particularly stressful I will do one more time but it's really not at all approved or recommend for meat animals so only for breeding stock at that age to allow a very long withdrawal period.
What medicated pellet feed do you use?

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
With corid you don't use b complex or thiamin(B1) while using it but good idea to give it for 3 days after treatment is complete. This is B1 not B 12.

If however while on corid you see neurological issues..stop corid and give B1 asap.

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
For corid
Mix 6 tablespoons of prepared Corid to 16 oz water. If you use powder. Mix according to package then follow the dilution above.
Dose is
7.5 cc per 25#
3.75 cc per 12 pounds..and so forth

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
I am in California as well.

Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
Mix 6 tablespoons(3 ounces) corid to 16 oz water....
For powdered mixture...3 ounces to 1 quart
then dose it at ...
30cc per 100lbs
15cc per 50lbs
7.5 per 25 lbs
treat individually for 5 days

You can give Fortified vit B complex, a day or two after treatment, if you are worried about thiamine deficiency.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts