The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

www.wildheartsranch.org
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who do regular coccidia prevention, what ages do you treat at? I've never needed it before but it's become a problem, and I have several kids this year who are behind because of it. They started showing minor symptoms before they were old enough to shed so I didn't treat them since I wasn't sure that was what it was, but by the time the oocysts showed up on fecals they were significantly worse. I treated with 5 day protocol of 40% sulfamed (dimethox) and they all cleared up, but I'm worried they might have permanent damage 馃槙 I'm pretty sure one from last year does who was also treated when she became symptomatic. I'm not up for doing repeated five day courses on the entire kid crop so I got some Zuricox (toltrazuril) and dosed all of them, including those who'd had the sulfa previously. So far my younger kids who were born after the others had been treated and had their first dose at a couple weeks old are looking good. Last three kids for the year were born this week. I was thinking something along the lines of two weeks, four weeks, eight weeks, and twelve/weaning - or is that too much? I dosed all of them with fresh cud probiotics the day after so that should keep their rumen healthy, and the Zuricox doesn't seem taste nearly as bad as sulfa so they didn't hate me for it 馃憣 Cost is sure going to rack up doing that much, but if that's what it takes to keeps kids healthy it is what it is.

I'd say "pic for attention" but I don't think it works that way here, so "pic just because" of a fat, healthy, treated 3 week old 馃槉

Vertebrate Mammal Working animal Terrestrial animal Fawn

Registered
Oh the pic works here. Especially when the kid is that cute!

I鈥檓 glad you asked this. It鈥檚 something I鈥檝e been wondering about myself as this fall will be my first breeding season and when I got my little does last year, they struggled with coccidiosis.

Super Moderator
We start prevention at 10 days to 3 weeks old. Depends on how wet or humid things are. With toltrazuril....repeated doses are not usually needed. I do once..and only booster when I see a need or fecal or after a big stressor like banding or going to a new home, since stress can cause a bloom. If you are treating an active case it's dosed then booster in10 days. Some years I only need the one dose while others I had to do 3 or 4 times before weening age. Last few years the inevitable dose has been enough. We also have kids on herbs weekly which helps.

Best wishes

Registered
I miss my ducks
I start my preventative at 10 days old. I use Corid but am going switch next kidding season. When they hit 4 weeks I do another and then one more treatment at weaning. This is only for the kids I keep. For kids I sell I give them treatment at 10 days old then right before they leave or send the new owner home with the meds to give it their self.

www.wildheartsranch.org
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We start prevention at 10 days to 3 weeks old. Depends on how wet or humid things are. With toltrazuril....repeated doses are not usually needed. I do once..and only booster when I see a need or fecal or after a big stressor like banding or going to a new home, since stress can cause a bloom. If you are treating an active case it's dosed then booster in10 days. Some years I only need the one dose while others I had to do 3 or 4 times before weening age. Last few years the inevitable dose has been enough. We also have kids on herbs weekly which helps.

Best wishes
You're not concerned that they might pick it back up from adults? I can't do fecals on a constant basis, and I want to head it off before they're symptomatic. I am keeping an eye out when I do adult fecals to see if there are any high shedders that might be causing it but nothing so far.

We are VERY wet here, and usually mild temps. I'm trying to move my kidding earlier when there's more likely to be cold snaps to kill things off but my does tend not to cooperate. I'm going to try lute synching them this year. They're on herbs too but it doesn't seem to have had any effect.

www.wildheartsranch.org
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I start my preventative at 10 days old. I use Corid but am going switch next kidding season. When they hit 4 weeks I do another and then one more treatment at weaning. This is only for the kids I keep. For kids I sell I give them treatment at 10 days old then right before they leave or send the new owner home with the meds to give it their self.
Are you selling them on the bottle? Most of mine are dam raised and stay until 3+ months.

Registered

Best wishes
What kind of herbs do you use to help prevent?
I鈥檓 really pretty dry over here, so haven鈥檛 seen an issue as of yet, but I鈥檇 like to know what herbs in case. Are we mainly just keeping immune system boosted?

www.wildheartsranch.org
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I鈥檓 really pretty dry over here, so haven鈥檛 seen an issue as of yet, but I鈥檇 like to know what herbs in case. Are we mainly just keeping immune system boosted?
I'm using Molly's program, but considering switching to Fir Meadows. Parasites are extremely bad here and while I have seen efficacy from Molly's against worms I'm thinking it might just not be strong enough. On top of the coccidia I've had severe cases of barberpole, ostertagia, lungworms, and tapeworms (yes, to clinical levels.) Possibly others than I haven't diagnosed yet 馃槙 Herbs are better used as a preventative given regularly rather than for treatment of active blooms. I use both those and conventional treatments - anything that works. I started the kids on herbs at a couple weeks old and obviously it wasn't enough to stop coccidia. Molly's recommendation was three days of double dose formula #1 followed by the same with #2, but I have to drench mine with it mixed with applesauce to get it down them and there's no way I could do that much. They hate me after even one dose!

Super Moderator
We are on LOH parasite formula which also addresses coccidia. We also do weekly essential oils which help.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
I dam raise and am in a very wet climate. I did 40% sulfamed at three weeks and then again 21 days later. I'll be doing a fecal tomorrow to see if they need it again. They've been weaned now for a few weeks. I couldn't find much info on using 40% sulfamed, so I sort of just had to guess.

www.wildheartsranch.org
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dam raise and am in a very wet climate. I did 40% sulfamed at three weeks and then again 21 days later. I'll be doing a fecal tomorrow to see if they need it again. They've been weaned now for a few weeks. I couldn't find much info on using 40% sulfamed, so I sort of just had to guess.
There's dosage info online. Varies slightly based on who it comes from (nothing official) but I did 1cc/5lb day one and 1cc/10lb day 2-5, which works out to roughly the same amount of active ingredient as the 12.5% dosing. Scours cleared up within the first couple days and fecals have been clean (done before they got zuricox). Make sure you always follow up with probiotics. My vet said she doesn't think much of Probios, so I've switched to always using cud based so that it's fresh bugs local to your feeding program and microenvironment. I've been brewing them so I don't have to risk my fingers to grab a new cud every time - plus it's easier to get down them as liquid than solid fibers.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
I did that dosage. I didn't do probiotics after, which I probably will do now that you mentioned it. What I couldn't find was how often to repeat treatment for preventative measures.

www.wildheartsranch.org
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did that dosage. I didn't do probiotics after, which I probably will do now that you mentioned it. What I couldn't find was how often to repeat treatment for preventative measures.
Yeah, I don't think there's a standard for it which is why I came here for opinions. I've been running my own fecals for seven years and never seen more than the occasional 1-2 oocysts in adults. I swear this property is toxic.

Super Moderator
Do you know specifically which herbs target coccidia the best? Molly says hers should, but 馃し鈥嶁檧锔
Clove is most common, oregano is said to reduce the load, garlic of course...also digestion soothing herbs such as ginger, Slippery elm (which is a bark) all support the system.

Super Moderator
I remember some years ago it was explained why to give everything 3 weeks. Something along the lines of treating it at the treatable stage but before it starts to cause damage to the intestines. Im pretty sure it was @goathiker that took the time to write it all up on here but I can鈥檛 find it.
But anyways I have been treating at 3 and 6 weeks, by then they are usually eating their medicated grain pretty good so I just keep a eye on any signs which 90% are usually good from then on. This year though with such wonky weather I went ahead and treated them again at weaning

Registered
I remember some years ago it was explained why to give everything 3 weeks. Something along the lines of treating it at the treatable stage but before it starts to cause damage to the intestines. Im pretty sure it was @goathiker that took the time to write it all up on here but I can鈥檛 find it.
But anyways I have been treating at 3 and 6 weeks, by then they are usually eating their medicated grain pretty good so I just keep a eye on any signs which 90% are usually good from then on. This year though with such wonky weather I went ahead and treated them again at weaning
So鈥 I have minerals that include bovetech. It鈥檚 to treat cattle鈥 do you think that would be a good idea for goats?
I have only been using the mineral w/o it since we don鈥檛 want the horses to get into it. (Basically I give it to the horses and goats eat theirs)
But I could put some of the medicated minerals in their goat pen 馃

Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
We do Zuricox 3w, 6w, 9w, 12w. Along with Equimax at 3w and 12w as we deal with tapes here. Sometimes I might skip one dose depending on weather or the animal itself. I have some that don't seem to need any interventions. We use LOH herbals as prevention in between. After the 12w it's only if I see issues, I do a fecal and will treat if necessary, or if a particularly wet season.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts