The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
We start prevention at 10 days to 3 weeks old. Depends on how wet or humid things are. With toltrazuril....repeated doses are not usually needed. I do once..and only booster when I see a need or fecal or after a big stressor like banding or going to a new home, since stress can cause a bloom. If you are treating an active case it's dosed then booster in10 days. Some years I only need the one dose while others I had to do 3 or 4 times before weening age. Last few years the inevitable dose has been enough. We also have kids on herbs weekly which helps.

Best wishes
What kind of herbs do you use to help prevent?
I’m really pretty dry over here, so haven’t seen an issue as of yet, but I’d like to know what herbs in case. Are we mainly just keeping immune system boosted?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I remember some years ago it was explained why to give everything 3 weeks. Something along the lines of treating it at the treatable stage but before it starts to cause damage to the intestines. Im pretty sure it was @goathiker that took the time to write it all up on here but I can’t find it.
But anyways I have been treating at 3 and 6 weeks, by then they are usually eating their medicated grain pretty good so I just keep a eye on any signs which 90% are usually good from then on. This year though with such wonky weather I went ahead and treated them again at weaning
So… I have minerals that include bovetech. It’s to treat cattle… do you think that would be a good idea for goats?
I have only been using the mineral w/o it since we don’t want the horses to get into it. (Basically I give it to the horses and goats eat theirs)
But I could put some of the medicated minerals in their goat pen 🤔

·
Registered
527 Posts
Not a professional here or anything but I’m going to say no. I remember years ago I fed a medicated cattle feed and it did crap for the kids but I looked and can’t find the feed I was feeding. But I looked up the bovetech and this is what it says:

Control of coccidiosis caused by Eimeria bovis and E. zuernii in cattle up to 800 pounds, as well as in replacement dairy calves

And then this is what is listed for the RUMENSIN in the goat specific feed:

For the prevention of coccidiosis caused by Eimeria crandallis, E. christenseni and E. ninakohlyakimovae

So from my understanding when I was looking into why the feed didn’t work years ago is as we know cattle cocci and goat cocci can’t cross to other species, and that’s because although both are cocci, they are different cocci.
If someone is reading this and that is totally wrong you are more then welcome to correct me!
Also the thing with forcing the medicated in feeds, minerals, and water is you have to make sure the animal consumes the proper amount. Water as we know on cold days they don’t consume as much as they might possibly should, minerals they pick at it here or there but some days won’t touch it, the feed, how I do it is they have free choice creep feeder and I don’t stop the prevention treatment until they are REALLY digging into it. But even then I have still had a handful over the years that have needed to be treated so it’s not totally guaranteed that it will keep cocci at bay.
Good to know- thanks for looking it up for me 😅
Didn’t really mean to make you do homework, just thought where you’re a cattle person that perhaps you had info.
I won’t feed it to my goats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts