Coccidia question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TNP, Sep 29, 2009.

1. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Should I have my 3-month old pygmies on a coccidia preventative, even if they've never had a problem with coccidia? The vet who did the fecal said there's no reason to be concerned with coccidia, since no abnormal amount was found in their fecal. Their poop has been normal for the most part. Every now and then I find a little clump, but not often. If I should have them on a preventative, what should I use?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have 2 eight month olds that had cocci when little and I used Deccox (per vet) as a preventive after their treatment was over......I topped dress their grain with it and it has worked here. Others might have some other ideas of what to use.
    :wink: Denise

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my belief and understanding is that if you give a prevention treament (because prevention is basically treating them constantly) but you dont give enough of the prevention (most prevention is like a medicated feed) then their bodies build up a resistance to the cocci medication and finding a medication that works once they do get cocci can be difficult.

And yes goats can still get cocci when on a cocci prevention program.

Now if you had a problem with cocci before then a prevention program is important - like Denise is doing.

I personally battle coccidia every year mainly in the spring. But I choose to only treat as needed instead of prevention because i milk my goats and i cant have them on medicated feed (plus i dislike puttind medication in them when it isnt needed).

If you do choose a medicated feed follow the label instructions and make sure they are eating enough feed per day to get enough of the medication. A lot of people just throw the grain out and dont measure it or make sure each individual is getting the right amount and that is how the prevention doesnt work.

4. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    If this were my kid I would not give cocci prevention. In my experience (and I live in an area that is very wet in spring and fall) when I've gotten a goat to three months with no coccidia outbreak and a fecal that is good, I have never had one go on to get an overload.

5. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks so much for the opinions! :)