The Goat Spot Forum banner

Coccidia

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  StaceyRosado 
#1 ·
Diarrhea, weight loss and arrested growth in kids ages 3 weeks and older may be the first signs of coccidiosis. Testing a stool sample may reveal coccidiosis to be the cause but remember, something as simple as a change of diet, indigestion, or too much milk or solid food at feeding can also result in diarrhea. More serious causes for such symptoms may be a worm overload, E. coli, or even enterotoxemia. It's vital to know what you're dealing with before you start treating so you don't give inappropriate medications.

Coccidia, the protozoal parasite that causes coccidiosis, is breed-specific. Of the numerous coccidia protozoa specific to goats, only 4 types cause goats to get really sick. The good news is that a mild (subclinical) case of coccidiosis will give protective immunity. A full blown (clinical) infection attacks the intestinal lining causing inflammation and much discomfort. If profuse bleeding ensues, death can occur from blood loss. Other causes of death from coccidiosis are dehydration, electrolytic imbalance and acidosis. Sadly, serious clinical infections can leave intestinal scarring and stunted growth due to poor digestion and nutritional mal-absorption.

Now that you've got a grasp on the problem, lets take a look at some solutions. As always, prevention is the best "medicine," so let's consider preventive measures:

Coccidiosis is a kind of man-made problem since it is most prevalent under conditions of over-crowding and lack of good hygiene. Under such conditions, the coccidia oocyst is actually ingested and coccidiosis occurs. This becomes a vicious cycle that is hard to break.

Following a well planned prevention program with the kids is important. Starting at 3 weeks of age (timing is critical), we mix 1/2 cc of Di-Methox 40% in their milk ration twice a day for one week. This particular from of Di-Methox is a concentrated IV medication but given in very small dosage orally seems to really ward off any problems. After the initial week's regimen, we continue to give them a 1/2 cc dose once a week till they are weaned.

The addition of a coccidiostat such as decoquinate (Deccox), when mixed in the food ration or loose minerals, has proven to be an effective preventative.

Control and treatment for coccidiosis involve the following:

Areas where infected animals have been confined must be thoroughly cleaned before the oocysts can multiply. Coccidia are tough organisms that can survive most disinfectants and hard cold weather conditions. Given the right environment (warmth and moisture), a full blown outbreak can occur in as short a time as 3 days.

Keep food off the ground. Feeders should be at a height where goats cannot defecate or urinate in them.

Treatment includes oral dosages of anti-diarrhea medicine as frequently as needed to avoid dehydration. Give Nutri_Drench, a concentrated vitamin/mineral supplement to restore nutrition losses. A 10-cc SubQ injection of Goat Serum Concentrate two days in a row will boost the compromised immune system.

Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox, 12.5%) can also be given orally by mixing 1-1/2 tablespoons of Di-Methox with 1-1/2 tablespoons of water and administer directly into mouth with a Drench Syringe. This should be done once a day for 5 consecutive days.

Amprolium (Co-Rid) is not readily available at this time. We never had much success using Co-Rid. The huge doses necessary for treating goats (10 times the cattle dose) created a vitamin B1 (thiamin) deficiency that resulted in the goat getting polio. In other words, "the cure was worse than the disease."

Coccidiosis can be life-threatening so prevention is the first line of defense, then quick, aggressive treatment when necessary. Most medicine is not approved for goats so consult your veterinarian for the program that is best for your goats.

See less See more
#2 ·
I prefer to use Sulmet or Albon (I will add the techincal name once I find it)

I have had good results with Sulmet and so have friends of mine

Use Sulmet or Albon for 5 days with this method

day 1
1cc per 5lbs

day 2-5
1cc per 10lbs

I recomend you get the liquid but don't put it in the water. It is labled for cattle, pigs and chickens but works great for goats as well.

#4 ·
I had my very first issue with Coccidia after bringing my nigi buckling home...he did well for a week here then after that I had a few days of pepto and yogurt because he got diarrhea...vet check revealed cocci overload....mind you he wasn't starved but the move and such brought it on...he was on 5 cc Albon first dose then 1 1/2 cc every 12 hours for 4 days....I also was advised to change my wormer from Safeguard to Ivermectin. I was also advised to mix 1 pound of Deccox to 25 pounds of minerals and leave year round or to start my preggy does on it 3 months before they kid. Chief didn't have any bleeding with the diarhea, so I was able to catch it in time...he did suffer from intestinal damage though and is slow in his growth...I found a compound called Sunshine Plus made by Blue Seal that will help him along in his absorption of nutrition. Will be posting on this product as I use it to see if it is doing him any good....it has all the good stuff like yeast and "good" bacteria for his gut as well as high protein and I only need to use 1/2 tablespoon as a top dress...this was easily available to me a bit pricey but I'll see if I get my moneys worth. I understand that the Fastrack that Stacey distributes is also a good choice when nutrition is compromised due to a Cocci infection.

#6 ·
horrible

I had the cocci, and the worm overload, which is why we lost so many kids this year. Funds were tight, and nobody would let us rent any land or farms, and we were stuck regrazing the same area, over and over. as well as buying hay in, half the time - it was awful hay and was responsible for some of the death (rats). Nobody wanted the goats. I emailed the radio station and one neighbour came forward and we are now renting 14 acres and a shed. Unfortunately it was too late for the ones we lost. Since I went public and got on the local paper, TV, I find I am getting more moral support. I left two nubians down with my mom as she has a huge overgrown garden in the back of the house and she is hooked. The rest of the goats are doing great now. Im planning on burning the old bedding that was in the old sheds, and bleaching the """ out of the sheds. The land is going to be rested for over a year. My brother won't even put his cattle on it, because of what happened, because the grazing area we had is basically the same field. But it is heart breaking to see them all dying, and you try your best with what you have.

#7 ·
Stacey...when you do yours with Albon or Sulmet, I am assuming that is preventative? Do you do this at 3 weeks of age? I have had goats for awhile, but still consider myself a newbie, there is still so much to learn. I really wasn't aware of this. Secondly, should I be doing something with my goats now as a preventative?

#8 ·
nope I only treated one goat ever with Sulmet. That was my little Miss Mia.

But you can give the same dosages as a prevenative if you should so choose. This basically means you are treating them for cocci "just in case"

I find it best to have the drugs be at their highest potency for if and when they goat does need it. By using something as a prevenative it the goat can become immune to the drug. And therefore need more of it for it to work properly or sometimes it doesn't work at all. But it is hard to know when this is the case or not so it kind of puts you in a bind.

So nope I do not do prevenative for cocci (at least at this time, always open for new ideas and treatment plans for things).

as to the care of goats - I have had goats for years but I am still learning, I maybe admin of this site but I am just as much in need of others insite and I am always willing to learn new things. Of course i love to pass on information too :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.